186. Save The Humans

Start from the beginning

A wave of crimson-colored magic washed over his skin, coating him in an almost demonic glow. His smile grew larger and his laughter became more hysteric.

Ravenna stood her ground. The ice that danced around her palms grew brighter.

From the corners of her eyes, she saw Caelan bolt forward. His entire body slammed into her, knocking her backwards. Her lips parted around a strangled gasp. One strong arm wound around her waist, holding her upright and closer to him.

A massive piece of ceiling crashed into the floor — mere inches from where Ravenna once stood.

"We need to get out of here!" his voice was dangerously close to her ears.

"He's transforming," she gasped out.

The crimson-colored silhouette grew larger — until its massive back arched into the remainder of the ceiling, forcing the last few jagged pieces apart. As they started to run, the entire palace crumbled into heaps of dust and rugged stones around them. Caelan's grip on her wrist disappeared as they ran faster, making their way toward the entrance to the palace.

Sunlight blossomed across Ravenna's cheeks. She squinted at the sudden onslaught of bright light and grimaced, lifting her hand to shield her eyes.

Caelan jerked to a stop and her face smashed against his back. Sputtering, she stumbled backwards. "What on earth?" she managed to gasp out.

Caelan reached back, his fingers curling around her wrist. Ravenna peeked out around his shoulder. Her mouth fell open. "Oh," she said. The word sounded broken on her lips.

"Are there any ice soldiers left?" he asked her.

"Most of them were either used in Zeporia or destroyed in the throne room," she answered grimly. "I can make some. But I don't think it will be enough."

The Capitol had been ransacked and desecrated. The diamond-marble buildings that comprised the edges of the marketspace were in ruins, broken and crumbling into a glittery dust.

Thousands of crimson-colored ice soldiers had flooded the streets — standing shoulder to shoulder, their weapons drawn and ready. Behind them, Vyses's maniacal laughter sliced through the eerie quiet that surrounded them.

Ravenna glanced back over her shoulder and then wished she hadn't.

Fear seized through her. Her body moved on its own accord. She took a small step forward, both hands reaching out. Her fingers knotted in the back of Caelan's tunic. Tremors claimed control of her limbs. The air in her lungs escaped in quick, frantic exhales.

A fresh wave of memories flooded through the forefront of her mind. The shredded body of her mother. The angered shouts of the guards. The cold feeling of swords and spears aimed at her throat. The convoluted fear. The disorienting confusion.

The sound of bare bones scraping against hardened ice. The petrified screams. And the creature — an undead white wolf that stood taller than mountains, with wispy fur and patches of exposed bone and sinew.

That same creature loomed over them now. Its glowing crimson eyes met Ravenna's. Then it reared back, its head angled toward the heavens, and roared.

"Ravenna."

Caelan's voice was harsh. His fingers curled tight around her arms, digging into her skin and muscle. She tore her head away from the wolf — from Vyses. Caelan stared down at her, his eyes swimming with a determined sense of ferocity.

"Ravenna," he said again. This time his voice was softer.

The air returned to her lungs.

Around her, the world moved in slow motion. The corrupted ice soldiers lifted their weapons to the sky. A shriek-like battle cry chorused the air. The dusty, rubble covered earth began to quake as Vyses stormed toward them.

"You take Vyses," she heard herself tell Caelan. She sucked in a sharp, resolute breath and then smiled at him. "I'll take the corrupted ice soldiers."

"If you die," Caelan said, "I will bring you back just to kill you myself." His jaw clenched and his hands dropped away from her. He took a step back.

Her grin grew more confident. "Likewise," she told him.

A wave of white magic flooded across his skin. She bolted past him, a glowing sword materializing within her hands. Her sword lashed out at the closest crimson-colored soldier, slicing through it's glowing body before its spear could touch Caelan.

Behind her, Caelan's white glowing form morphed — stretching, twisting and growing until an expansive torso took form. Two massive wings spread wide, crashing into the ruins of the buildings around them. The bright glow of Caelan's magic faded — leaving behind a familiar dragon covered in scales the size of Ravenna's hands, shifting between shades of sky blue and sea-foam green.

The dragon towered over Ravenna and the rest of the Capitol — standing just as tall as Vyses's wolf form. Shadows coated the ground as the two creatures obstructed the reach of the sun.

Caelan's dragon-mouth opened, revealing rows of sharpened teeth and a flickering white-blue flame.

"Alright. Just focus," Ravenna whispered to herself. She bolted forward through the army of corrupted ice soldiers. Glowing hands and crimson swords reached for her. Her hands glowed brighter. A sea of daggers surrounded her.

"I can do this," she told herself.

The daggers zipped through the air around her. As most of the corrupted soldiers focused on the daggers, her hands and lips moved quickly. Ice soldiers of her own began to take form around her. Some jolted forward and attacked. Others protected her, distracting the corrupted soldiers so that she could make even more.

Soon a small army of glowing blue soldiers surrounded her.

From the corners of her eyes, she noticed a strange bit of movement in the distance. Her hands froze and she squinted at the movement. As it got closer, a gasp tore through her.

Hundreds of humans stood at the edges of the Capitol — ranging from old men in dull armor to young guards sporting shiny, steel helmets. Their swords, spears, and farming pitchforks lashed out at the corrupted ice soldiers.

An achy feeling clutched at Ravenna's heart. The humans stood no chance against Vyses's army. But it was obvious that they weren't going to go down without a fight.

The bright blue ice soldiers around her multiplied. The world beneath her trembled as Caelan and Vyses clashed.

"I can do this!" Her words echoed louder this time. "I have to save the humans!"