Chapter 8 - Jemma's POV

I woke up the next morning to the sound of the wind howling through the eaves. The muted light coming through the curtains giving just enough light to the room to see basic silhouettes but nothing more. I slowly stretched my muscles feeling stiff but a little less sore. The combination of the muscle relaxers and whatever salve Ava gave me seem to be really working now. The swelling in my thighs are all gone and the coloring has faded big time. It almost felt like a miracle with how quickly I was healing. The first week felt like I had little to no improvement but now as I stretch it felt achy but not painful. Like stretching after a really good workout.

I look over and see Maddie curled up with her blankie on the bed under the window. I was so tired last night I didn't hear her come in. I can't hold back the smile as I look at my sleeping angel. She's the best thing in my life, her very existence saved me and gave me purpose when I felt like the rest of my world was falling apart.

With a smile on my face I carefully slid to the edge of the bed and gingerly got down. My left knee and ankle feel stronger. I left my sling on my bedside table and grabbed the cane just in case but didn't use it as I walked into the bathroom.

"Whoa!" I exclaimed as I looked in the mirror. I turned my head this way and that. The bruising is all gone except for a little shadow under my eyes that look more like lack of sleep than the remnants of the double black eyes I was rocking thanks to the airbag hitting me. I look like me, well dirty greasy hair me, but still me. There's only so much you can do with dry shampoo.

I heard a soft knock on my bedroom door and I walked over there, not limped, not shuffled, but walked over there and opened it before the sound could wake Maddie. I cracked open the door to see who was there and am met with the shocked faces of Selene, Heather and a new woman.

"What happened to you?" Heather asked with awe in her voice.

"I don't know I just woke up like this. It's like some kind of crazy miracle." I answer opening the door a little wider so they could come in. I knew Maddie would wake up but if the ladies are up that means the kids will be coming for her sooner rather than later. As the light spilled into the room I noticed on the floor by the door was a pile of stuff that wasn't there last night. The ladies filed in behind me but I didn't pay attention to them I was stuck on the pile.

I walked over and gently sank down to the ground. "He was able to get everything I asked for." I said quietly. I see my laptop bag and set it aside. I see Maddie's and my duffle bags. I noticed the black plastic bag full of Maddie's stuffies, I know she'll be happy to see those. There's my file box and it looks completely intact. Then I see the box with my grandma's writing on it and I carefully slide it over to me but I hear the unmistakeable sound of broken porcelain clinking together from within. I bow my head and start to cry.

Arms wrap around me and I look up and see Heather and Selene have taken a seat beside me. "What's wrong Jemma?" Selene asks wiping a tear from my face.

"My grandma and I were really close and I lost her a few years ago. She left me all her antique jewelry boxes and that's what's in this box but from the sound of it they're broken." I sniffed. "The ironic part is I had them in my car because I didn't trust the moving company to get them to my new place without breaking them and here they are broken."