Chapter 2- Jemma's POV

PAIN!

That's the first thing that registers. My everything hurts. I can't open my eyes more than a sliver. I try to lick my parched lips and my tongue and lips feel so swollen I can hardly move them. I glance around my limited field of vision. I'm in some sort of medical facility but it looks more homey than a hospital. I look down and see my left arm is in a cast and strapped tightly to my torso. There's an IV in my right arm with clear fluids in the tube.

MADDIE! Where's my daughter? Did he save her? Is she safe? My mind starts racing and my heart rate picks up I can feel my pulse pounding everywhere. It felt like my entire face, my arms, my legs were all one giant heart that was about to explode from over exertion.

The door opens and in comes a woman dressed in scrubs. Her black hair tied in a low ponytail. "Hello Jemma, I'm Dr Greene. How're you feeling?" Who was this woman and how did she know my name?

"My daughter?" I croak out through my dry, cracked lips.

"Maddie is just fine.She did break her arm and we had to put a few stitches into the side of her head but other than that just a few scrapes and bruises. Now are you in any pain?" She answered while typing something in the computer then she started checking my vitals.

"Where?" It seems that saying more than a word or two was not possible right now.

"Where's Maddie?" she asked and I nodded ever so slightly

"She's in the playroom with the other children. As soon as I'm done with your check up I'll have her brought here to you. She keeps asking when you're going to wake up." she smiles while talking about Maddie, my daughter has that effect on people you can't help but love her. "Let's start with something easy. Would you like a drink of water?"

I nod my head slightly again because that's all the movement I can do. She fills a cup with water and unwraps a straw before putting it in and bringing it to my lips. I take a few sips letting the cool liquid slide down my throat.

She set the cup on the tray next to the bed. "Are you in any pain?" Again I nod.

"Where?"

"Everywhere." I say my voice sounding a bit more normal but still raspy.

This time she nods her head and makes a note on the computer. "After I'm done with my exam I'll bring in some pain meds that should help with that. Do you remember what happened?"

"A dog.... I turned...lost control.... we rolled.... Maddie crying." My head is really starting to pound as I flexed my brain trying to remember.

"A dog?" she had stopped typing and was focused entirely on me.

"It was big, reddish brown.... Did I... Did I kill it?" Knowing that Maddie was safe, although banged up, and I was safe, I now wanted to make sure I didn't hurt the dog.

"No one said anything about a dog so I would say it's safe to assume it's okay wherever it is." she said without meeting my eyes.