Chapter 4 - Nick's POV

I was about to turn to get my first look at my mate when I'm bumped from behind. I whip around and quickly grab her arm before she could fall. The tingles erupt in the palm of my hand and radiate up my arm. So this is what that feels like? I've heard it described so many times but it's hard to imagine what it actually feels like. I look down into her eyes, her beautiful moss green eyes, her pixie face framed by long strawberry blonde hair that hung in loose waves over her shoulders and down her back.

That's when it hits me.

She's beat to hell. Her face is slightly swollen and covered in bruises in various colors of healing. It looks like her nose had been broken recently. Her lip is split, there are stitches on the left side of her forehead. My gaze travels down her body. Her left arm is casted and bound to her torso and there's a cane hanging from her wrist. There's a pink flower drawn on her cast, it looks like a child's drawing. She is wearing a dress that doesn't quite fit her like it wasn't hers at all. Her left ankle is in a brace.

What the FUCK!

It felt like I was staring at her for hours when in reality it was only a second or two. I see the shock in her eyes when I touched her but I didn't see recognition. I don't see understanding at all. In fact she looks confused. I take another deep breath, that's why. She's HUMAN!

I can't keep the disgust from my voice as I drop her arm warning her, "Watch where you're going" I storm away. I don't even grab my bag or head to my room to take the shower that I wanted I just stomped off. I needed to get away from her, get away from her smell, get away from the damn mate bond that wanted me to take her broken body into my arms and kiss every cut, scrape, and bruise.

I storm into my brother's office and slam the door. I start pacing the floor running my hands through my already messed up hair.

FUCKITY FUCK FUCK FUCK! Why the hell are we mated to a weak little human? She probably slipped on some ice and fell down. Humans are weaklings! They get hurt so easily and take so damn long to heal. How is such an inferior creature supposed to lead a pack the size of ours?

Kol was screaming at me to go back to our mate. To claim her. To make her ours!

The office door opened and closed without me looking at it. I knew it was Mitch. He stood there watching me wear a track in his carpet. After a little while he cleared his throat and stepped around me and taking a seat at his desk.

"Are you going to tell me what that was all about?" he asked steepling his fingers on his desktop.

I look up at him. In that moment he looked every part the Alpha that he is. He's calm, controlled, and there's a glint of humor twinkling in his eyes. He's enjoying watching me lose control. I growled at him. How was I going to explain to him when I didn't even know myself?

He sat there holding my gaze until I calmed down a bit and sat down in the chair opposite him. I took a deep breath and opened my mouth only to close it again. Yup I still don't how to explain what was going on without sounding like a total ass. My wolf's voice echoes through my head saying I am being an ass.