Part 14: 28th OCTOBER

I always loved this time of year and relished in decorating the house.

I set up a workshop for local kids to carve decorate their own pumpkins and have them displayed over the house for guests to see. It had been highly sucessful, with many kids entering from across the village and even the outer villages. Each pumpkin was to be put into a competition- the best pumpkin carving won a sweetie hampers from Mr Simms Sweet Shoppe in the village. I was tempted.to keep it for myself to be honest.

I had so much fun, the kids got to get into some messy play in. It was good to get a little light and warmth in the place, the sound of children laughing and adults in polite, warm conversation about the holidays.

I poked a stick through the final pumpkin, with a label on that had the competitors name on it:

CHELSEA, 6 1/2

I smiled remembering her temper tantrum and not being allowed to carve out the pumpkin on her own.

"You were delightful with the children this morning. You kept you your promise. Soon Allerdale will be spoken of with honour and Dignity, not scandal and shame."

"Oh Thomas. Please all that is in the past now. It's the future we need to look to. Which reminds me, I need to speak to you about something."

"If it is about the costume it is still a no." He snapped.

I sighed, he caught me out. There was no way I was going to be able to get his mind changed, but I had to do something. "Thomas, I really want you to disguise yourself or you could freak people out! They may not realise who you are but they may clock on."

He pinched the bridge of his nose, it seemed even ghosts could get a migraine. Our conversation was interruped by a knock at the door. I shrugged and charged to the front door to open it. Mr Gorman. I froze, and realised he could see Thomas. Gorman stared, and looked pale as he inspected every inch of Thomas.

"Ah Mr Gorman... just in time, I want you to meet..."

"William." Thomas interjected.

"Yes, William. He will be one of our actors on the interactive nights here at Allerdale. We have a Crimson Peak interactive dining session next week. Looks the part right?"

Gorman shook his head and pulled himself together and stepped in with a package. He handed it over and we opened it together, my order was here. 200 copies of Edith's book Crimson Peak, Crimson Peak T shirts, face masks, and collection of coffee thermos.

"These are great! A bit of merchendise to get the ghost hunter lot hooked! Plus who can resist the 'I survived Crimson Peak' stuff?"

I was busy rambling and Gorman was still staring at Thomas, making me nervous. I thanked Gorman profusely and began showing him the door when he turned to me.

"Oh, one more thing. There was this left in the letter box down the lane. It was left there, no address or anything. Thought it might be for you?"

I took the latter and thanked him, showing him out. As soon as the door shut I looked to Thomas, the look of annoyance moust have been clear on my face.

"Perhapse. I need a costume afterall." He admitted. I began to laugh at his foolishness when something happened. Something that hadn't happened for a long time. I sneezed.