A New Home

The first thing Dream recognized in his just woken up haze, was how soft and warm everything was. For the first time in his life, Dream didn't wake up on the hard floor nearly freezing to death. The Inu could almost fall asleep again.

That is, if a voice didn't speak up almost immediately.

"Hey, are you awake?"

Dram opened his eyes to see the scarred man sitting in a chair next to him. He looked different. Instead of wearing a white dress shirt and neat slacks, he was wearing a blue coat and black sweats. He seemed to have been reading a book while waiting.

"It's okay to speak up if you want," the scarred man said with a smile, "here, I'll go first. My name is Alex Quackity. I'm a Harpy and I live with my two human fiance's and our Neko friend."

The man- Quackity- showed off two small golden wings. He flapped them lightly, chuckling as he did so.

Dream slowly sat up on the bed he was in, "I'm Dream."

Quackity smiled softly, "it's nice to meet you Dream. Are you hungry? Can I get you anything?"

Dream paused for a moment, "Why are you doing this? I-I'm supposed to serve you?"

Quackity sighed softly, "you're one of the ones who way born into it, weren't you?"

Dream nodded, unsure of what the man was talking about. Quackity closed the book and set it to the side. He seemed to take a moment to decide what he wanted to say.

"About twenty years ago now, it became illegal to buy or sell Neko's, Inu's, and people of that sort." Quackity said slowly, "before that, it was highly frowned upon, as Neko's and Inu's were officially counted as people, but not yet illegal. So when it did become illegal, people still sold them. Like you. But I'm one of the ones who are allowed to buy Neko's and Inu's to help free them from the trafficking ring. You're safe now. You're free."

Dream didn't know what to say. His ears flicked back and forth, showing how conflicted his feelings were. He was free, but what did free mean?

Quackity gave him a small smile, "I can see you need some time to adjust. I'll get you some dinner and then I'll let you rest."

Quackity got up, heading towards the door. But right before he left, he paused.

"And don't worry about anything too much. You're not going to be hurt while you're here." The man said.

With that, Dream was left alone. Well... At least he thought so. It just so happened that a Neko was waiting outside on the balcony to the room. He couldn't help himself. Quackity brought home a new Inu. Can you blame a cat for being curious?

So the Neko slipped into the room. He went unnoticed by the Inu as he crept up to the bed. It was only when the cat leaned over that the Inu saw him

Dream jumped back with a surprised cry. The Neko just laughed lightly.

"You're a jumpy one." He said in a British accent, "are cats the ones that are supposed to be afraid of dogs?"

Dream huffed out a sigh, "not when you sneak up on someone."

The Neko laughed, his tail flicking, "I'm George."

"Dream." The Inu said simply.

George hummed, nodding his head, "well it's nice to meet you Dream."

Dreams ear flicked back and forth, "what-what are we expected to do here?"

George looked at him curiously, "what do you mean?"

"What's our tasks? What are we supposed to do?" Dream said, then his ears went back, "a-and what are the punishments?"

"There are none." George told him, "you just... Live here, if you want."

"I've lived in a lot of places. They always sell me again." Dream sighed.

George sat down on the bed, "you survived in a lot of places. Quackity, Sapnap, and Karl are nice people. They're not going to hurt you. And they're never going to sell you because they don't own you."

"They don't?" Dream looked up at the Neko.

George shook his head, "you'll understand it better tomorrow. They have this whole thing where you burn your information papers, and then you get to do something you've always wanted to do for the whole day. It's really fun."

"How do you know all this?" Dream asked.

Before George could answer, the sound of footsteps came from behind the door. The Neko jumped up.

"I wasn't here!" George whispered with a smile, jumping out to the balcony he was hiding in before.

Just as George slipped from view, Quackity walked in with a bowl. The scarred man gave a quick glance at the curtains which were still moving. He rolled his eyes, moving towards the bed.

"Here." Quackity smiled, handing Dream the bowl, "Chicken noodle soup. Careful it's hot."

Dream took it with a small smile. Maybe this place wasn't so bad.