CHAPTER 24

My sleep wasn't the greatest but it was enough. The next day brought me joy as I woke up to my familiar bed and to see Shelly and have a decent breakfast.

Over breakfast it was Shelly's turn to fill me in on the past month. 'Your speech that you gave before you left made us really concerned. We didn't know if you were okay and we didn't know what you were doing and then you left. When you came back, like actually came back, I guess I overacted and I'm sorry about that. The words I said were harsh and I apologise. I was hurt and angry and I hope you can forgive me for that.'

I placed a hand on Shelly's arm. 'Believe me you are forgiven. I'm sure it will be a lot easier for me to forgive you than vise versa.'

Shelly nodded and continued. 'As I said, James is in an orphanage and since then I've just been here, watching you in the news and all that.'

I frowned. 'Do you think I faked my words and the fall?'

Shelly shook her head. 'I know you wouldn't do that. I think you'd do something smarter than just a fall, and anyway you obviously had something going on. I mean look at you, you're thinner than ever.'

I looked down at my body. 'I know, but with no food and water it's a little hard to keep up with that.'

I looked up at Shelly who had a thoughtful expression cross her face.

I frowned. 'Can I ask you a question?'

Shelly regained her focus upon me. 'I mean, you just did but sure.'

I sighed. 'The world hates me, and I know that you are the only one who doesn't hate me at the same level as the rest of the world and that's all I really need, but, do you think I could prove to them that I am good?'

Shelly frowned in thought. 'Well thank you to begin with, and I can't speak for everyone but I think you can. It may take some serious time, but I think you can show and prove that you are not a monster.'

I nodded in understanding.

Shelly had a quizzical brow. 'I know your speeches don't seem to end well and other than that I can't really see how you can prove yourself. Do you know how you will do it?'

I titled my head to the side and stared at my coffee. 'There will be a way. I know it. It will just be quite far down the track, but it will be a perfect opportunity for me to prove myself.'

Shelly raised her eyebrows. 'And what is it?'

I looked up at her and gave a sad smile. 'You will see when it comes around, and I doubt you'll miss it.'

Shelly frowned. 'Okay.'

I drained my coffee and stared in thought. Should I tell Shelly? Would it be too much for her to take on? I don't think she could believe me if I did. It might be best if I just keep it to myself anyway.

Shelly drained her own coffee and stood up. 'Alright, I have to go work so I'll go get changed and head off.'

I frowned. 'Isn't Nick Fury slash S.H.E.I.L.D paying for everything though? I mean, he is the one behind keeping us off the radar and helping to pay the house expenses and stuff, he agreed to continue paying until he decided we were fine on our own or something like that right? So do you really need to work?'

Shelly shrugged. 'I know. I just wanted to make my own money. You know, to have it stored away for when when we have to pay for our own expenses, whenever that is?'

I agreed and thought about that point myself. Shelly walked to her room, leaving me to think about how I would probably find myself a job after we weren't being hunted down by the world.