Chapter 15

Oblivious to the twigs and leaves in her hair, Emma sat in the bushes, blanked faced.

“Ah…”

So apparently Tom wasn’t the only one who was able to do those things.

Neat.

The child lost track of how much time had past and by now the sun was starting to set, the lighting making the small red berries nearby tempting to munch on however she didn’t want to risk it. Emma doesn’t remember planting those.

So one of two things happened:

[ ]Tom tried scaring the man into submission by setting the wardrobe on fire.

[ ]The man tried setting Tom straight by setting the wardrobe on fire.

…Honestly Emma was more inclined to believe that it was the first option just because it’s the resident Edge Lord and that it wouldn't be the first time but considering how calm the man was it’s kind of difficult. Absent mindedly munching on a few berries she was so lost in thought that the sound of footsteps was replaced with static.

Albus Dumbledore felt that there was something…off about the young child barely hidden in the bushes before him. While the air around young Riddle was filled with the feelings of freezing icicles, the air around this girl was muffled.

A squib maybe?

“Little one…?”

Emma twitched.

Dumbledore knelt in order to not appear as opposing, with a hand out he called again.

“There are a few things that I would like to discuss with you.”

The girl looked at him weary but eventually came out, not because he asked but because what she sat on was apparently a pissed off ant hill.

The two sat in silence before Dumbledore explained little bits and pieces that he felt necessary for the situation.

_

______

“…So your just like Tom then?” At the older man’s silence she continued, “I can’t say that I’m surprised.”

After all, setting someone’s belongings on fire seems to be a running trend among wizards.

Dumbledore watched as Emma became quiet, pulling at the worn threading of her dress and he slowly slipped out his wand from his sleeve. Before he could do anything however the girl looked up into his eyes as if already knowing about what was going to happen next.

“Look after him for us please…” she murmured, dim eyes seeming too tired and old for a child her age.

Caught off guard, he took a moment before nodding.

 _______

Later Tom would find her unconscious in the garden and it was soon discovered that she had eaten a few poisonous berries.  When he asked her about the stranger, Emma in her pain filled haze gave his answer with a question.

“Who’s Mr.Dumbledore?”