xxii

• third person •

(Y/N) knocked on the wood of the door, pursing her lips.

"Kaeya? Are you awake?"

"(Y/N)?"

"Yeah, it's me..."

The door cracked open slightly, only to reveal a disheveled Kaeya, hair messy, no eyepatch on and his one open eye unusually wide. His hair covered his other eye instead.

"You must be a little confused." (Y/N) smiled uneasily, folding her arms. "And hungover."

"Can you come inside?"

"Sure."

Kaeya moved out of the way, allowing her to slip in, before rapidly shutting the door behind him.

Uncharacteristically, he began to pace a bit, his head in hand, wincing in pain.

"Kaeya-"

"Archons I can't remember shit."

(Y/N) placed her hands on her hips.

"Yeah, no shit. You were so drunk last night you passed out."

"Passed out?" Kaeya's eyebrows raised. "Where?"

"In the tavern."

"Please don't tell me Diluc was working last night. I don't remember him serving me... No, he wouldn't allow me to get that drunk... Why am I here then? This isn't adding up, (Y/N)-"

"If you let me explain, maybe it would."

Kaeya fell silent, slightly pouting.

"He arrived at the tavern while you were already passed out. He doesn't know where you live so he brought you here."

"Diluc... brought me here. Here."

"Yeah."

"Shit."

"What?"

Kaeya rubbed his hands over his face. His head was pounding; it was impossible for him to even think straight.

(Y/N)'s eyes narrowed, her eyebrows knitting.

"You know Kaeya," she watched as he slumped onto the bed, his hands still stuck to his face, "if you couldn't tell, I'm disappointed."

"Yeah, I could..."

"You told me the other night was a one-off, and look at you now. Where did that lead you?"

"Here..."

"Yeah." (Y/N) sighed. Kaeya didn't even notice she was holding anything until she put a water bottle and some pills on the nightstand. "But let me tell you this. Diluc brought you here. Not me. So Diluc doesn't mind you being here at all. He's making breakfast for us all right now."

"I don't know what happened between you two but Diluc doesn't hate you, you know. He cares about you a lot. Otherwise he would've just left you passed out at the tavern, or even the fact that you know that if he was there he wouldn't have let you drink that much in the first place."

Kaeya's eyes closed. He turned away.

"I see. Thanks for the medicine."

The corners of (Y/N)'s lips fell slightly in a frown. She hated seeing Kaeya like this.

"Breakfast will be done soon. Make sure you come down, okay?"

"Okay. Thank you."

A soft sigh left (Y/N). Kaeya glanced at her. He was expecting her to leave.