You forgot me

Matthew had been sitting on the couch in his parents living room, patiently waiting. He was waiting for anything really. Maybe a caring voice saying 'Hello Matthew.' Maybe a simple hug. Maybe a pat on the head. Hell, maybe even a glance in his direction! But no, none of that came... or at least not right away, as Matthew had hoped for in the beginning.

Why had he been waiting for this, especially today? Well that's a fairly simple questions with a fairly simple answer.

Today was July 1st. It was his birthday, his birthday, and people had yet to notice him.

'It alright,' Matthew had thought to himself. 'Its still only noon. You know what, I bet they're planning a surprise party for me!'

Deep down though he knew none of that was happening.... there would be no warm hugs... there would be none of his friends coming over... there would be no tasty pastry goods for everyone to enjoy today... It was just him.... again.... Matthew let out a long sigh, almost ready to give up, when he heard a voice that raised his hopes a little too high up.

"Ah, Matthew my boy," he heard a somewhat heavy British accent say, "I've been looking for you all over the bloody place! I wanted to tell you something, lad"

'Ive been here all morning.' Was all Matthew thought before he pushed those thoughts aside. 'No, stop it Mattie,' he scolded himself, 'it doesn't matter if he says it a little late! All that matters is that he is saying it now.'

"Yes," he responded, probably a bit too eager, "what is it dad?"

Arthur looked at him, a little confused at the sudden emotion, before he just shook his head and shrugged it off. "As you know, your brother, Alfred, is about to turn 13 in a few days and we need to set up all the perpetrations for his birthday."

Matthew felt his heart shatter with that sentence. Of course, his 'older' brother's birthday was in three days. Of course, they here planning something for him. Of course, they didn't ignore Alfred, the most liked and noticed and 'talented' of the two. The star child if you would. Of course, HE wasn't over looked and forgotten!

"Hello, lad? Are you there?" said the Brit, snapping his fingers in front of his son.

"Hmm, I yes I'm still here." Matthew said with a bitter, sarcastic undertone.

"Oh good, you seemed to have dazed off for a moment there." The Brit continued, not even taking note of Matt's tone. "Well you see your father and I have been planning his party. He seemed very insistent on having to cook the food himself when I offered to, for some strange reason, and so I was left with the decorating." he rambled on, "But I seem to be short on decorations. Would you be a good lad and get me the things on this list?" He said handing Matt the paper he pulled out of his pocket.

Matt looked at the list. There were things like streamers, balloons, party hats and all that and at the bottom of the page he had written 'get these items in red, white, and blue.'

Matthew let out a small sighed. He had no choice did he. He looked down at his watch that read 11:30. "Yes dad, I'll get these. I'll be back in an hour or so, okay?"

"Thank you lad." He said, handing Matthew 50 dollars. "This is going to be a great party!" His father squealed, walking back into the kitchen.

'Yeah, too bad its not for me...' Matthew thought bitterly as he walked out the door, slamming it in the process.

On that Faithful NightOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara