Chapter 15

The hospital felt familiar to me. Maybe  because I had just been here about a month ago. But it was even stronger than that. I guess it was really because being in a hospital was part of the hockey lifestyle. You're gonna get hurt at some point and you'll have to come here to a hospital.
But I can't be thinking about this right now. I had to be there for Ashley and her family. We sat with her mother silently greeting eachother. Ashley and I decided to tell her about the wedding after all of this. Once an hour or so passed, we were allowed to see her father.
I let her and her mom greet her father and talk to him. Her father seemed to notice the engagement ring when Ashley held his hand.
"Oh Ashley! Why didn't you tell me?"
"We wanted to wait until the Stanley cup final was over but this... This accident happened so now we were waiting for this to be over."
"Gabe... I want you to take care of her to the best of your abilities. Oh and congratulations on winning the cup." He said, cracking a small smile.
"Thank you, Hank."
"I just wanted to let you know because the doctor said I only have a short time left until..." he trailed off.
"Yeah... We know." I said. Tears were beginning to form in my eyes.
"I wish you guys the best." He said, directly before the endless sleep engulfed him. His heart rate went flat.
Ashley slowly let go of his hand and hugged my tightly, crying into my chest. She moved on to her mom.
We drove back to my apartment in silence knowing that we will never see him again. I knew that he'll still be with us. Just in a different way.