Chapter 7

When we got back to my apartment, Ashley helped me into bed and pulled the covers up over me. She was like my stay at home nurse.
"Hey, Ashley? Will you stay with me while I sleep? Like you did at the hospital."
I could sense her hesitation at this. "Sure." She said as she pulled the covers back, crawled into the bed and pulled the covers over once again. Ashley laid her blonde locks oh my chest and asked me something I wasn't expecting.
"Gabe why did you kiss me?" This question struck me hard in the chest.
"Well... " I couldn't help holding in the truth so I let the words pour out of my mouth. "You told me you loved me and I felt the same way so I-I just kissed you- it was an adrenaline rush I guess." She obviously didn't have a response to this. She moved up to cup user hands around my face and kissed me softly, but passionately.
"I love you." She later on mumbled into my chest.
"I love you too, Ashley." I replied and it was the most truthful thing I have ever said out loud. It was reassuring to be able to tell her this again.
The next morning she woke up before me, but accidentally woke me up by reaching for the glass of water on the night stand.
I began to mumble something and she brought her arms back around me. I wrapped mine around her and breathed her in. Many years had passed since it had been this way.
By the time we were fully awake, it was almost 11:45 AM.
"How's your neck feeling?" she asked as she carefully touched the bandages.
"Better." I responded. "It would feel a little better if I got a little something..." I trailed off as my lips searched hers.
"So what do you want to do today?" She asked as she pulled away.
"I want to go see the team. There's practice today until 1:30 so could we go now?"
"If you're up for it."
"Yeah. I am." I answered.