☆36☆Back home

Start from the beginning

The moment our skins came into contact, he woke up. He literally jerked out of his chair as fear wore over his body. He shook and begged.

"Please don't kill me! Please!"

"Who are you?" I asked but the man continued begging for his life leaving the question unanswered.

"I don't taint my hands, mister. What's your name?"

After hearing my first statement and how serious I was about it he relaxed a bit.

"Give me an answer." I asked once again.

"Matthew Jordans, ma'am."

"What are you doing here?"

"I don't know."

"I would not like to think that as a lie. You cannot be ignorant of why you are a victim of- I want the truth, Matthew!" I held on his thigh for support to stand and he didn't formulate any cry of pain. His lower body had not been beaten.

"I was brought here last night. I don't even know where this is or why I'm here, ma'am."

"Of course the location is a must not know." I scoffed, "but not the pretext of why you were brought here!"

"I'm not going to say anything more, ma'am. I'm certain your boss wants to use my words against me. But I'll stick to what I said before-"

I listened closely to the last part.

"-i did not kill his parents. Please I beg for mercy. I have a wife and two sons to go back to. I'm a father doing all he can to make ends meet for his family and not a killer. I didn't kill your boss's parents."

"What's your occupation, Matthew?"

"I'm loyal to someone who isn't you. I don't share my job to anyone." The man flexed in arrogance.

"Mafia! There is nothing as secretive as that. So is that how you fend for your family? That's dirty money!"

"But it's good money! I only soil my hands a little and there I have it."

"So it's true! You did kill my boss's parents! Who do you work for?"

"Ma'am, I didn't kill them. I don't even know who your boss is."

"How old are you?"

"Forty."

"You look younger than that." The man in rugged black jeans had a broad and firm body. It was youthful and strong. He was certainly less than forty or so I thought.

"At what age did you join a crime organisation?"

"A year ago. I was desperate. I could not afford college fees for my boys."

"There is a mistake here." I had to admit.

"Matthew is not the killer. I assume Ryxel's parents died many years down the road and this man only joined the Mafia of recent. He cannot be the one." I silently meditated.

"I didn't kill your boss's parents, ma'am."

"I know."

"Please help me then."

"I will." I answered impulsively. I didn't care whether I could manage or not but I would not let an innocent man be punished for something he didn't do. That was unjust. I would even help Ryxel make his hands less bloody. It would save him from a long period of time in hell.

"Ma'am, the pair of scissors is under my chair. Help me please."

"Not just yet. You will leave immediately I'm done."