Chapter 1

Chapter 1

3 years later

"Why do you think you should have this job Miss...?" "Quinzel, Elsa Quinzel." I say as Mrs. Ross looks at me, her glasses close to the bridge of her nose. "Quinzel, are you related to Harley Quinn at all?" She asks and I try to keep my cool, "No, it's a common mistake, but I'm not related to that crazy woman." I say. Mrs. Ross keeps looking at me, almost like she was trying to figure out if I was telling the truth, or lying.

"Well it seems like you were the top in your class, and your background went through with flying colors. But what I don't understand is, why this place? Why Gotham Arkham Asylum? I mean, we have the worse of the worse here, it's quite dangerous. And you're so young." She says giving me a conceited look. I sigh, "Because Gotham is my home, and with the Joker being gone and the other villains being locked up here. Gotham is going back to normal; I think I can help some of these villains, to tell the truth, a lot of them have mental problems. Right?" I ask.

Mrs. Ross looks at me again, "Miss. Quinzel, you're only nineteen; I wouldn't let you near some of those people." I shrug, "I might be young, but like you said, I was the top of my class." She sits there for a while just looking at me, then she pushes her glasses up and stands and gives me her hand, "Then welcome to our mad family Miss. Quinzel, you start tomorrow." I gladly take her hand and shake it, "Thank you Mrs. Ross, you won't regret it." I say and take my hand back and grab my purse, "I'll see you tomorrow." I say and start to walk to the door.

"You know." I hear behind me. I turn to see Mrs. Ross organize the paper work. "Harley Quinn use to work here. But back then she went as Harleen Quinzel, that's why I asked if you were related." She looks up at me. I fully turn to her, "Did she now?" She nods, "She was a wonderful therapist, and she helped with many of our patients here. Till she met him." "What do you mean? What happened?" I ask. "Joker made her see the world, in different colors; she said that 'Mr. J helped me with my true self.'" "I can see why you would be worried if I was related to her, but I'm not, as you saw in my background, I'm an orphan, my family was killed by the Joker and I had no sister."

"I didn't mean to bring back old memories." She says but I just smile, "It's not bad memories, it's just something that happened and why I wanted to be a therapist, to help people." I see her nod as she looks back at her papers, "Harley's here now after the Joker pasted away." "She is?" I ask feeling a shiver go up my spine. I see her nod, "Oh yes, she lost her mind more after the Joker died. Don't worry dear, I won't put you on her case, she is a lost cause, she'll never be her old self again." She says as she sits down and starts to work on her paper work which was cue to leave. I open the door with a smile on my face, "We'll see about that."

***

"I'm home!" I yell as I hang up my coat and walk into the living room to see someone reading. "How did it go?" I hear my 'father' ask as he closes his book and stands. He turns to me, his dark hair slick back and his in a suit and tie a smile on his face. "I got the job Bruce; I might be able to help some people." I say with a smile on my face as I walk up to him and give him a hug. "I'm so proud of you Elsa; you've come a long way." "I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you." I say as I pull back.

I see him do a small smile, something a lot of people don't see. "You were the best thing that happened to me, you know that right?" I nod, "Yeah, I know. Would you like me to make you something?" I ask as I start to walk to kitchen. "Elsa." I stop and half turn to him, I know that voice, that's voice he uses when he knows something, is on his mind. "Why did you want to work at the Asylum? Is it because your sister is there?" I see the look he is giving me, it's hard to hide things from him, I mean, he was Batman...

I fully turn to him, "Bruce... I just want to know why." I say as I cross my arms over my chest, I don't like talking about my past, about her. I hear him sigh as he walks to me and gives me another hug; no one really sees this side of him, but me. He treats me like a daughter, more than his own son. I feel him pull back, "Elsa, please just take it easy, I know you want answers but right now, you can't be pushing yourself, it took you three years to get you where you are now. You worked hard on recovering. Don't let her take you back form when you were sixteen."