Twenty Five - Paper

Paper

Darren:

There was no answer.

Sighing heavily, Darren tapped on the door once more, desperately needing to speak to his boss. No reply again. Trying one last time, he rapped at the door once more, louder this time. Suddenly, as if caving under the force of his heavy knocks, the door swung open slightly to reveal Pauline Larkson’s empty office.

Frowning, Darren turned to leave with the intention of coming back later when he knew Dr. Larkson would be back in her office, but something stopped him. A gentle breeze crept into the office through the open window behind Dr. Larkson’s desk, picking up a piece of paper and tossing it into the air.

He watched it fall onto the hardwood floor and, after a quick second of careful deliberation, decided to pick it up and put it back on the desk. He walked over to it and bending, reached to pick it up. Another breeze picked up the piece of paper before he could snatch it, and flipped it over so that Darren could see what was written on it.

On seeing the bold, red header, his blood ran cold.

Eyes wide and heart pounding, he picked the letter up and skimmed through it quickly.

“No.” He whispered once he’d finished reading it. “She can’t do this.”

Summoning up all the will power he could muster, Darren put the paper back on the desk, instead of ripping it up like he wanted to, and promptly left the room.

No one heard the string of curses he shouted in his mind as he went.