XVII

*SCREAMS IN EXCITEMENT*
Karen & Dorinda: WE'RE MOVING TO DALLAS!!!!!

Valerie & Cheryl: Girls. Girls. Girls! Please calm down.

K&D: How do you expect us to calm down when we're moving to Dallas together!?

Cheryl: Because that's not the case.

Dorinda: What are you talking about?

Cheryl: We're not moving to Dallas. Val and Karen are.

Karen: I'm not understanding. Mom wha-- what is she talking about?

Valerie: When I accepted the big promotion for my job, I didn't know that I would have to relocate if I wanted to get a 20% pay raise. It was either, take a pay cut and stay here or move.

Karen: So, wait? You took a promotion without even considering my feelings or even talking to me about this whole thing? Did you not care about how I would feel?

Valerie: Of course, I did. At first, I didn't take the promotion, but there was an issue that came about, and I didn't want to lose my license if I became blackmailed. So, in order for me to keep you safe and keep my license, I went straight into protective mode.

Karen: So, when exactly were you planning on telling me? When the movers knocked on our door and the whole house was packed ready to be shipped?

Valerie: Karen, baby I was planning on telling you. I just didn't know how to tell you. Plus, as I mentioned earlier, I didn't accept the job at first. But when I decided too, I asked Cheryl to help me break the news to you as well as Doe.

*Dorinda looks at her mom in disbelief*
Dorinda: Mom, you knew about this too?

Cheryl: I did. We were both scared of the reaction that the two of would have, so we decided to come up with a plan on how to tell the two of you together.

Karen: *wiping her tears and looks at her mom* I can't even begin to describe how I feel right now. Do you hate me or something?

Valerie: *turns to her daughter and caresses her face* Karebear, I don't hate you. I just want better for not only myself, but for you as well.

Karen: *moves her mom's hands* You want better for me, but you didn't even consider my feelings. I can't even be around you right now. *Gets up and leaves the table*

Valerie: Karen! Karen! *sighs*

Dorinda: I'll go check on her.
Doe gets up and follows Karen

Valerie: *begins to cry* Cheryl, this is not how I wanted this to go. Now, she thinks I hate her.

Cheryl: Valerie, look at me. Karen knows that you don't hate her. She's just upset. Just give her some time. You still have 3 weeks left here before you all leave. How about, Dorinda & I will cancel our vacation and spend the next 3 weeks here with you and Karen?

Valerie: Cheryl, I can't ask you to do that. You & Do have been taking that trip every year since she was 5.

Cheryl: It's okay. Besides, we already have one angry 17-year-old, we don't need two.

*IN THE BATHROOM*

Dorinda: Karebear open this bathroom door, I know you're in there.

Karen: Leave me alone Doe.

Doe: Karen. C'mon. Please?

Karen: I said, NO! Now go away.

Doe: *sighs* this stubborn girl. *looks around for something pointy* JACKPOT!

Dorinda finds a hairpin on a table nearby and breaks the lock. After successfully doing so she walks in the bathroom and locks the door behind her. Amazed at the interior design, she begin looking around

Dorinda: Oh! Even this bathroom is bigger than my bedroom.

Karen: I thought I told to leave me alone.

Dorinda: First off, lose the attitude, before I make you lose it and won't be able to find it again. Secondly, when do we ever listen to each other? Now, get up off the floor and come sit down and talk to me.

Karen gets up and sits next to Do
"How could she do this to me? It's not fair!"

Dorinda: Karebear, I know you're upset, but she has a good reason. Better life choices for you and her. I know we won't be together 25/8 after this, but the only things that's gonna change, is your address and telephone number. We'll still be best friends. All of us; you, me, Jacky and Tam. We can share the latest gossip and I'll even keep you up to date on everything in the neighborhood and school. How's that sound?

Karen: Yeah, I guess so. It's just that it's our senior year and I'm going to be in a whole new state away from my friends. It sucks.

It was like a lightbulb went off in Karen's mind and Doe saw it in her eyes

Doe: I know that look. Karen Valencia Williams, what are you thinking in that head of yours?

Karen: We have to make a pact--

Dorinda: AHT! AHT! Karen, what is it with you and these pacts?

Karen: C'mon Doe. It's nothing crazy...-

Doe: Aht! The last time you said that. I ended up with a patch of hair missing. 🙄

Karen: *snickers* But it grew back. Eventually. Just do this with me and I promise I won't ask anything else? Please? my Doe Doe🥺.
I gave her the puppy eyes and the poked out lip knowing that gets her every time

Dorinda: Ugh! Hate when you use that name and those sad puppy eyes. Okay! Fine! Let's do it.

Karen: Okay. We say the pact and do our secret handshake. Deal?

Dorinda: Deal.

Karen: Okay. Repeat after me.
"I promise that no matter what happens in the future, we won't let anything tear our sisterhood apart. No matter the distance, we will always hold each other hands."

Karen: "I promise that no matter what happens in the future, we won't let anything tear our sisterhood apart. No matter the distance, we will always hold each other hands."

We smile and do our secret handshake.

Doe: We're gonna have to break the news to Jacky and Tam though.

Karen: Yeah, you're right. You know how emotional Tam is.

Doe: Whew, she cries at Jingle Bells.

Karen: I'm gonna tell her exactly what you said too. I love you Doe!
Dorinda: I love you too Karebear!

Dorinda: Now, let's go back out there. Our parents are paying for dinner and I plan on eating good tonight. I refuse to let my Shrimp and Grits go to waste.

Doe grabbed Karen's hand and they both headed back to the table. Hopefully the rest of the night goes smoothly