new me.

Loki could only watch as Miriana wandered around the party. He felt it would be better to give her space for the rest of the night, but he couldn't help the glares he sent toward anyone who dared to step too close to her.

He was barely listening to Thor and Steve as they chattered away beside him, exchanging war stories or something, not until he saw Ana start to stumble her way toward the trio. He snapped himself back into the conversation, only sending minuscule glances at her.

"Lady Ana!" Thor beamed down at her.

"Hello boys." She smiled, patting a hand on Thors back - she was slightly taller than usual with her heels on.

Loki scratched at the palm of his hand, it seemed she was looking anywhere but him.

"You're here for something, I can feel it." Steve smirked.

"Well, I don't know about that." She rolled her eyes playfully, "But if you've got anymore of that beer on you, I wouldn't be opposed to you spiking my drink." She put on an innocent smile, looking up at the blonde as she held her glass up to her cheek, both hands clutching it tightly. Lokis stomach twisted.

"It's ale. Not beer." He corrected, patting her head. "And no. I don't know how you convinced me the first time but after Tony's threat; I will not be giving you anymore." He sent a lopsided grin.

"Threat?" Her face dropped, and Loki could have sworn her eyes flashed to his, just for a second.

"Yes." The God seemed hesitant, "He um- Well he only asked us to make sure you didn't get too... Carried away." He chuckled dumbly.

"I think what Thor is trying to say is that, we all understand you've been through a lot and I think Stark knows best of all how we can use alcohol to fix it. We just worry about you Ana. We wanna make sure you're safe." Steve smiled softly at her, holding a hand to her shoulder.

She grit her teeth, her eyes were definitely on Lokis now. "I'm not some broken little girl." She started, her voice low as she glared at him, "Stop treating me like one."

"Miriana-" He cut himself off as she stormed back into the crowd.

Steve and Thor turned to him, their lips parted as they sent questioning looks.

Loki pinched the bridge of his nose, squeezing his eyes shut.

"Brother?" Was all the God could think to ask.

He didn't give an answer, running a hand through his hair, Loki twisted through hallways until he found the restroom, he slammed his hands down on the counter either side of one of the sink.

He didn't know what to do.

He was always caring for Ana, thinking into every word and reassuring her at every moment, anything to make sure she was still alright. Anything and everything. Always for her.

But now, she didn't want that. He could blame it on just the alcohol but he'd always been taught that drunk words are sober thoughts. So that meant that this is really how she felt.

Miriana felt that he was overbearing, that he didn't respect her or thought of her as less because of what she had been through.

It wasn't true. Loki loved Miriana, he had loved her since the first threat that slipped out her lips, he had loved her since the first time she held a knife to his neck. Just because that was before everything didn't mean he had forgotten about it. Loki loved her but most importantly he respected her, sometimes he even feared her.

His mind raced, he thought over every second he'd been with her, how he'd acted to make her feel this way. He was becoming dizzy with all the conclusions he was drawing.

Would she take it back?

His knuckles turned white as he gripped the counter top.

Would she take back her love for him?

He didn't want to find out.

He pressed a hand to his face, his eyes squeezed shut, he could barely look at himself. He'd messed up the best thing that had ever happened to him.

So he'd fix it the only way he knew to, the way he'd done thing for centuries before she'd ever walked into his life.

He'd close himself off.

He'd build up his walls, admittedly a little thinner than before, but with the same rules as always.

First rule, it's not your job to care.

Second, trust is not given easily.

And last, don't let them see what you're thinking.

If he followed those rules then there'd be no way to mess up again. What happened next, what they're relationship would be in the morning; that was Mirianas choice.

Loki pushed his hair back, brushing down his suit and sending a firm nod to his reflection before he was striding back into the venue hall.

The bricks were set.

"Brother! Are you alright? I was wondering where you had ran off to." He chuckled, catching him in the hallway.

"Yes, I'm fine." Loki sent a small smile.

"Alright." Thor was hesitant, he was stood firmly in front of Loki, stopping him from entering the party.

"Shall we go back?" He spoke slowly, raising his hand to gesture behind his brother.

"Oh yes." He chuckled nervously, not moving, "I just- Well, I should warn you." His brows twisted together.

"What's wrong Thor?"

"It's just- It's Miriana. She's... made friends... with a guest- A SHIELD agent I believe." He avoided Lokis eye.

"Alright." He replied simply, "Let's go. I don't know why you're so worked up." He let out a huff of laughter and was finally allowed to walk past Thor.

He did know, as soon as he walked into the party, he knew. Someone else had their hands on her. Someone else was whispering into her ear and making her laugh.

Rule number one. Not his problem.

"Thor." Loki called back.

The blonde darted out the hallway to meet him, "Yes?" He was far too worried.

"Was Dr Banner your only friend on this planet or is there anyone else you can introduce me to?"

Thors mouth fell open, "Um, yes. Who do you want to meet?" He asked carefully.

"Well I should probably start- What does Stark call it? Networking. Work on my reputation." He smiled triumphantly.

"Right! Yes, of course! Lets go, I know just the person!"

~~

you know what,, sometimes i surprise myself with these storylines...

<333