Chapter 14

"Shit!" I cursed as my shopping cart collided with someone else's, "I'm so sorry I wasn't paying attention."

"Don't sweat it." The other person replied.

Looking up I came face to face with Dylan, "Hey you. Nice to see you again."

"Is it really?" He countered, his voice strained.

"It's always nice to see an old friend." I stated coolly, "I hate to run, but I'm meeting a friend for dinner shortly and I don't want to be late."

    As I moved to go around him, Dylan grabbed my arm and stopped me.

"Were you going to tell me that you were moving halfway across the world?"

"I didn't know that I needed to Dylan. I've been gone for the last year. Before that we hadn't spoken to each other for nearly a year. Which was your choice not mine. You disappeared on me if you'll recall." I said pissed that he had such audacity, but the anger fled as fast as it had come, "Look, I'm not doing this with you. It was all so long ago. I'm not the same person anymore. Yes, old Arden was hurt, but new Arden has moved on. It took a few months and several thousand miles, but I have finally let you go. I've made my peace, and I'm not going to let myself get sucked back into whatever vortex of Hell that we always seem to end up in. I can't do it anymore. I won't do it. I wish you nothing but happiness, but I won't be there for it Dylan."

    With that I continued on my way out of the grocery store. I didn't hear anything else from Dylan after our run in at the grocery store. Although, if I had to guess, I would credit Matt with some of that. He had gone ballistic when I relayed the story to him and Andrea. He stormed out of the house, and when he returned an hour later, his knuckles were bruised and bloodied. I had tried to ask him about it, but he had just responded with a wicked smile and stated "Plausible deniability." Mom, her husband, Andrea, Matt, and baby Finn all came to the airport to see me off. It was a tearful goodbye, but I promised I would be back soon because I still needed to close on my house.

"About time you came back." Oliver said as he picked me up and spun me around before setting me back on my feet.

"Miss me?" I asked with a giggle.

"Only every minute." He replied as he took my suitcases from me.

"You should come with me next time. I have to go back whenever the house closes." I said as I followed him out of the airport and into his truck.

"I just might. It's about time I met your friends and family." He replied as he laced our hands together and backed out of his parking spot.

"I agree. I didn't tell them about you this time. It just didn't feel like the right time since I had been gone for so long, but I want them to meet you next time." I said as I placed a kiss on his cheek.

"Then I will come along." Oliver replied.

    Two months later I was headed back to Mississippi to sign the contracts and close on the sale of my house. This time I had Oliver in tow. I still hadn't told anyone about him, but I did tell everyone that I had a big surprise. As we exited the terminal, I found my group easily. Mom, her husband John, Andrea, Matt, Finn, and Dylan. I instinctively squeezed Oliver's hand harder when I realized that Dylan was with them. Oliver shot me a questioning gaze, but I just shook my head and forced a smile.

"Oh my goodness! Is he the surprise?" Mom demanded as she wrapped me in a hug.

"Sort of." I replied with a wicked grin before shooting out my left hand to display my engagement ring, "Surprise!"

"Holy shit Ards! That thing is huge. Congratulations! I can't believe it!" Andrea shrieked before jumping on me.

"Will she be okay?" I heard Oliver ask no one in particular.