Chapter 2

Andrea's idea of wild and crazy fun had been matching tattoos. I had never even thought about getting one, but I sucked it up and went along with her. We now each sported a small dinosaur tattoo on the inside of our wrists. Why dinosaurs? Because she thought they were "just too cute not to get." Avoiding Dylan had been pretty easy. We didn't have any classes together. We did have the same lunch period, but Andrea and I had taken to eating outside everyday. Plus, it's pretty easy avoid someone who isn't actually looking for you. He was all wrapped up in Holly after prom. The perfect little couple. Graduation came and went. I managed to make my valedictorian speech without passing out in front of the crowd, and Andrea and I left for Boston that same night. After everything that happened with Dylan regarding prom, my mom had agreed that a fresh start in Boston was exactly what I needed. I hadn't had to do much convincing. I was surprised that she agreed so easily, but she had just simply said that it was time for me to move on with my life.

A Week Later

"Hey mom, I got your message. What's up?" I asked as I slipped off my shoes beside the front door.

"Nothing. I just wanted to check in with you. See how things are going up in the big city." My mother replied. The smile evident in her voice.

"Everything is good. We actually just got back home. We got the jobs that I mentioned last time we spoke, so I'll be making some money pretty soon." I told her.

"That's awesome sweetie. I am so proud of you." She replied before hesitating.

"What's wrong mom? And don't say nothing. There's something that you aren't telling me." I prodded.

"Dylan came by the house today." She said.

"Huh? Why?? What did he want?" I asked.

"I don't know. He said that he wanted to talk to you. I obviously told him that you weren't here. Then he asked when you'd be back and if he could wait." She said.

"What did you say?" I questioned.

"I told him that you weren't coming back. That you had already left for college. I also tossed in that the time to talk to you would have been literally any time over the last month. He looked dumbfounded, and that's how I left him when I closed the door on him." My mother replied.

I couldn't help the laugh that bubbled up, "I can't believe you'd do that mom. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall."

"Well, he did you wrong. I don't like people mistreating my baby. He didn't deserve you. Hopefully, you will find a handsome doctor or lawyer while you're up there." She replied.

"I don't want to find anyone mom. I just want to keep my head down and get into law school." I said.

"You're going to be amazing sweetheart. There's not a doubt in my mind. I've got to go baby. Don't forget to call me from time to time. I love you." She said.

"I love you too mom." I replied before hanging up.

Dylan's POV

"Bro, you're late. What happened?" Trey asked as I approached our group in the bowling alley.

"I went by to see Arden before coming here." I replied.