"Denaro? Wait, wasn't that the surname of-"

"Your mother's lover? Yeah. I see you're connecting the dots quickly. But don't worry, Cynthia isn't his daughter. She's his sister-in-law's daughter. In the worst-case scenario, she's your cousin. But you may have step-brothers. One of them attends this school, his name is Alessio"

"Yesterday I learned that I'm just half-sister of Ianniello's" she admitted unsettled with new revelations.

Bruno blinked twice then whistled. "Oh, Dio you're really something. Do you know what would that mean if you were both Denaro and Ianniello?"

"What?"

The bell rang signifying the class started and ultimately she did not learn what does it mean.

As they were walking inside the class it was Cynthia who bumped into her. But not by accident. Purposely and with full force. Sofia would fall on the floor if not Bruno's steady hand keeping her in place. The teacher was busy doing something on the laptop so she didn't notice Cynthia's violent action.

"What is your problem!?" Sofia asked unable to stop herself.

"I saw how you approached my Valentino the last time you came here. Who do you think you are? You think you can just hit on the hottest guy in school?" Cynthia whispered with venom in her voice. She smelled like a pack of cigarettes. Wait she was... jealous? Of Valentino?

"Cynthia-" Bruno stared but she responded

"What?" She asked sweetly "Want me to tell Alessio that you're bothering me?" She asked sweetly. No, it was a threat.

Okay, this is ridiculous.

"Cynthia, I assure you I don't care about Valentino in that way"

"I don't believe you. Stay away from him. Don't even look in his direction or I will make you regret you were born" she warned and left to take her place at her desk but not without sending Sofia a deadly glare.

"Damn why do I always have to get in trouble?" Sofia asked massaging her temples. Her head was hurting. "What is up with Cynthia and Valentino are they dating or something?"

Bruno snorted. "No. But she has an unhealthy obsession with him and she wishes they were"

Some people approached Sofia to ask about her TV appearance, others gave her just curious look. Sofia wasn't planning to entertain them with answers. She just didn't feel like opening up to strangers.  

The next lesson, history, in Sofia's opinion went fast. This might be because she wasn't listening to the single thing the teacher was saying too busy worrying about Cynthia's behavior towards her.

🔆🔆 🔆

Two hours later Sofia and Bruno followed everyone to the cafeteria.

"Are you sure you want to sit with me? They will start picking on you as well" Sofia warned. She didn't want Bruno to be in trouble because of her.

Bruno started laughing, Sofia furrowed her brows with confusion and asked "What? What's so funny"

"Nothing it's just... you realize your one word and they're done, right?"

"What are you talking about?" Sofia asked while putting the tray full of delicious food on the table.

"I mean. You're Ianniello. Your brothers have a terrifying reputation here. Valentino turns into a devil if he doesn't like someone and that often happens without apparent reason. If he knew about the way Cynthia treated you well that would start a war, I'm certain" he said and he took a bite of pasta.

"A war? Why war?"

"I told you she's Denaro. Denaro and Ianniello are the most powerful families in Catania. If it was anyone else Valentino could destroy that person without consequences but if he tries anything with Cynthia, Alessio will have to respond"

"This is... messed up. I barely understand what you're saying" Sofia said shaking her head in disbelief.

Without explaining further Bruno facepalmed.

"What?" Sofia asked.

"I just realized something. Most people still think you're my cousin, that's how I introduced you to Mr. Ricci the first time you came here, remember? News about the new Ianniello hasn't spread yet. Since you're from my family it means you're unimportant and unthreatening. They can do whatever they want to you. The sooner you tell them you're Ianniello the sooner they will leave you alone"

"What the hell this school?"

The protest grew in Sofia's chest to this injustice. Why would her surname matter?

It was not okay to treat someone like trash only because they didn't have money, power, or whatever.

Sofia decided she's not obliged nor does she want to hide behind her surname. Especially since she didn't really "feel" like being a part of the Ianniello family. Not yet.

🔆🔆🔆

Valentino was sitting at the table with his friends and decided he's not going to bother Sofia for now. He was a little pissed about the fact that she was sitting with Neri of all people but for now he planned to keep an eye on them without interfering. He wanted her to make friends first, if people knew she was his sister they would start sucking up to her.

"Valentino, guess what. That chick which bothered you is the new student here"

"I hope you no longer have a beef with her coz I'd she wants to go out with me. I will free her from that loser"

That was enough for Valentino's nerves. He abruptly stood up and grabbed the front of Mattia's shirt.

"If you look at her again I will kill you" Valentino growled.

The table went silent. You just don't say things that piss off Valentino. Even if it's unintentional. 

Mattia was kicked out of their table sooner than he could blink but the empty space he left at their table would be filled soon enough.