13. Lost Memories

Start from the beginning

"Mother of the year," Valentino said with disgust.

"Why don't you shut up" Francesco responded harshly.

"Why do you have to defend her every time?" Valentino's eyes furrowed, he was both irritated and angry.

"You were one year old when she left. You have no idea what she has been through while living here"

"And I don't care!" Valentino yelled and stood abruptly from his chair with a loud noise. Then he just left the room without another word. He looked like he wanted to destroy something.

Francesco's face showed sadness and irritation and Alessandro... well it was impossible to tell what Alessandro is thinking. His expression was completely blank and he didn't join the heated discussion between brothers. Instead, he lifted his gaze to look directly at Sofia.

"We need to take a DNA test to confirm you're our biological sister. My lawyers informed me it will be necessary for a custody case" he informed as if nothing just happened.

"Custody? But you hijacked the car, technically kidnapped me. How do you want to win custody after that?" Sofia asked doubtfully.

"We are in the process of negotiating terms with your step-father" Alessandro responded calmly, without addressing any of her points.

"Like right now?" This admission only deepened Sofia's confusion. They were talking? She couldn't imagine how they managed to convince Paul to stay and talk. Paul she knew would call the police if that mean he would get what he want and now he wanted Sofia with him on the plane back to the US.

"Francesco and I are in the process of explaining to him why it's better if he gives up his rights willingly" Alessandro explained patiently.

"And if he won't? If you won't be able to convince him?" Sofia asked nervously, she tucked a long stranger of hair behind her ear and directed her full attention to Alessandro.

"We will convince him," he said in such a convinced tone she believed him.

"So," she said in a strained voice "Does that mean I'm safe now?" Her voice was breaking.

"Of course you're safe" Francesco reassured.

"T-thank you. For everything. For taking me in, for being so kind, the food, the place to sleep. I'm incredibly grateful"

Francesco circled the table and kneeled in front of her. He took her face in his hands as if she was the greatest treasure and he looked at her with his warm brown eyes that held nothing but kindness "Sorella, you have nothing to be grateful for we're doing our job, we should be doing forever since you were born - taking care of you. I'm sorry we weren't there for you before but we are now"

Sofia could feel how she's tearing up and soon she was in Francesco's warm embrace.

____________

"She's asleep?" Alessandro asked. Francesco spends an hour trying to calm Sofia down. He carried her to her bedroom and now she was sleeping soundly in her bed.

It was a stained wooden canopy bed with a dark brown headboard. The bedroom had a white wallpaper playing off with pleated window curtains. They made sure to get a comfortable bed for her but the room itself was plain and needed some personal touch to be added. Alessandro made a mental note to ask her what sort of renovations she wants.

"Yes"

"Join me then" Alessandro instructed.

Francesco stood up and followed his older brother. It was a hectic day for everyone. When he and Sofia were at the hospital Alessandro was taking care of Sofia's stepfather.  Francesco hoped that Paul will be broken into compliance soon. Alessandro had his ways and he had absolute trust in him.

„Her stepfather is safely stored in the interrogation room, he already agreed to give up custody willingly but I want to keep him there for a little longer just in case. I must admit I'm tempted to kill him but first, we need him to give up his custody rights" Alessandro said coolly, now that they were walking down the corridor there was a little risk that Sofia will overhear them.

"So we will let this asshole get away with whatever he did that caused our sister to run away from him?"

"Get away? Not. He will pay the price according to his deeds. Just not right now"

"I just hope that waiting with killing him won't come back to bite us in the ass later"' Francesco muttered. When he entered Alessandro's office first thing he did was pour whiskey for himself and his older brother. It's going to be a long night.

___________

Hi guys,

I don't know what to think about this story so far... so please let me know what should I think. How do you feel?

Thank you for all the comments you left so far I promise I read them all. ❤️