Mel had gone to sleep by the time I had finished singing the short song for the third time. As I was walking out into the hallway wiping my tears, I bumped into Ashton.

"Hey, hey, hey, are you okay?" He said pulling my hands away from my face.

"I'm fine, you just have a perfect family." I started to cry more at the statement.

"We are far from perfect." He said rolling his eyes, nonetheless pulling me into his chest.

"So you say, they all love you so much, Ashton, you're so lucky, you are so loved."

"They have other priorities." He murmured mindlessly rubbing my back.

"No they don't they may not all show it but they don't. Ashton they love you. They all adore you."

"Not always show it? How about they don't ever show it?" His voice had grown cold and his hand still. I pushed myself away from him, my eyes continued to leak.

"No Ashton. They do show it. You just don't ever open your eyes for it." I angrily wiped my face. "You don't know what you have until its gone Ashton, open your eyes, you are so lucky to be here." I pointed to the ground in between us. "To have a family, friends, a nice home, and love."

"You don't know what you're talking about."

"And you do?"

"What do you mean?"

"Obviously if you know that I'm wrong you have all the answers. So, let me hear them." I waved my arms around.

"Stop being ridiculous." He said pulling my arm down the hallway so i wouldn't disturb the twins.

"Am I? Because I miss my mom and my dad. I know it sounds ridiculous but sometimes i think, What if? You know, what if we hadn't of gotten in that wreck. What if Ally would have lived? You know would I still be with them? It wouldn't be so bad living just in the shadows, life wasn't bad being second best. At least i was with people that were my family. I know they turned out to be awful, but what if that makes me awful? They are my parents after all, and don't call me crazy for saying that because I'm literally made of them, Ashton. I'm terrified of being them, but i feel like they were contagious, you know? Its scary, Life is scary. Stop looking at me like I'm see through." 

"You aren't see through, you're just incredible. You came from the lowest point and you are like liquid gold. An you are perfect. Out of just the right circumstances you were molded into the best person around here, and even though your situation actually sucks. You are totally and completely perfect. You may be made of them, but you are also your own person. Its okay to miss them, Lu. But you know what else is okay to admit to yourself that you are worth more than living in your sisters shadow. What happened to Ally was terrible, but you, are better off than living in her wake. So don't tell me you would settle for a mediocre life because you are worth the universe and so much more. Do you understand?"

I sucked in air that didn't seem to be enough, because my lungs were squeezing every bit out that I sucked in. "Yeah, I understand." 

"You're pretty great, Lu. Now lets go down stairs, moms making some soup." 

"Sounds good."

-_-

"Lucy, can you pass the water pitcher to me?"  

"Sure." I said passing it to Steven. 

"So Ashton I was in your room earlier and-" Mary began.

"You were what?" He said dropping his fork and clanking into on his plate. 

"Okay okay, i know i promised i would stay out after last time, but Stevens assistant told me about the errand she ran for you and I was just curious."