5

The next 5 days went about like the last ones had, but on the 6th day at 6:00 in the morning Gon refused to do anything except stare at his text messages from Killua. "Gon, you'll hear the notification" Leorio said in exasperation. "No, he could text at any time" Gon mumbled. He'd finally found something he needed again, something he looked forward to. That something, was Killua. "Just staring at the damn thing won't make it come faster" Leorio grumbled, sitting down on the couch next to him. Gon was currently laying with his chin propped up on a pillow as he held the phone in front of his face. While his attention was on Killua and his soon to be arrival, it strayed away from the death and weight of whale island. Gon spent the next 5 hours in that position, Leorio stayed in the room but had to move from place to place. "How does he sit still for that damn long?" He muttered under his breath. Killua...

At about 1:00 in the afternoon. He heard the sound. The sound, accompanied by a text.

Killua: I can meet you at the sweets shop on Kinsho street

Gon was pretty sure there was going to be a follow up text with the time but he responded immediately.

Gon: Yes

Killua: I- How'd you respond to that the instant I clicked send?

Gon: I've been staring at my phone for the last 5 hours waiting for you to text me.

Killua: Really?

Gon: Yeah, can we go now? Like, right now?

Killua: Damn, I just got to Yorknew Gon. Let me get me and Alluka an apartment to stay at alright? I'll be there at 2:30

Gon: I'll be there.

Gon closed his phone and sat up, Leorio glanced over at him from his place in the kitchen. "Did he give you a time?" Gon nodded, "2:30" Leorio grinned. "Great. Now, that gives you an hour and 30 minutes to eat and get dressed. You never took off the clothes you slept in" Gon stood up, then thought for a moment. Right.

It was 2:15 when he was done with a shower, lunch, and had gotten dressed. He was wearing his green jacket and shorts, underneath was a tank top. Gon decided to bring his bag with him, Leorio had given him permission to crash at Killua's place after. This meant he had to bring all of his belongings, which was pretty much just his bag and fishing rod. I can't wait any more, I want to go now. Right now. So he opened the door. Leorio jumped slightly. "H-Hey! It's only-" Gon turned, and Leorio paused at the sparkle of emotion in the eyes that had been mostly cold and dead for the past few weeks. "I can't wait fifteen more minutes" He said, then closed the door behind him as he walked out.

Gon sat in the sweets café for the next 15 minutes, eyes on the door. He glanced over at the clock. 2:31, he's not here. Gon stood back up, then opened the door. He said he'd be here by 2:30. Usually he would've let it slide for another 5 minutes, but with the state he was in it just wasn't going to happen. He heard a notification sound, and was about to open it when he caught a scent. Killua's scent. Gon never turned his phone on, but kept it in his hand as he followed the scent. Killua's here, he's close. I'll be able to talk to him again, to hold him, to be with him. He hadn't looked forward to something like this in weeks. Gon started to feel another emotion. Excitement. Oh come on I'm so close- when he turned the corner, Gon froze. The phone fell from his grip and his eyes widened. He couldn't speak for a few seconds, tears stinging in the corners of his eyes at the sight.

Killua was on the ground, in a pool of blood, eyes closed. "KILLUA!" Gon screamed, voice threaded with fear as he bolted to his friend's side. Gon started to hyperventilate, hands shaking as he checked his pulse. "Please be alive please be alive-" He gasped, there was a pulse. It was faint, and uneven, but it was a pulse. Gon quickly slipped off Killua's shirts, then put a hand to his mouth as the tears started to roll down his cheeks. O-Oh my god. There was a hole in his chest. For some reason, he'd worn 3 layers and only the first shirt had blood on it. Gon removed that shirt from the other two and tried his best to use it to stanch the bloodflow of the 3 inch thick gaping wound on his chest. Gon's hands shook, then he gasped as he got an idea. He was never all that great at Nen healing, but if there was any chance of saving him- Gon cut his thought process off, reaching for his phone first. When he tried to turn it on, the screen didn't light up. "Fuck" Gon cursed, the thing had broken in the fall.

Gon tried his hardest to close the wound with Nen, but it was just too big. Then, Killua's breathing labored. Gon's own breath came hard and fast, body trembling slightly. "No, No, you can't die. I can save you, just hold on a little longer. P-Please..." His voice shook as he tried desperately to save his best friend. "No, you can't die. Please, I c-can't... I can't lose you too" He sobbed. Gon's vision started to blacken at the edges as his breathing stopped, Gon brought his fingers back down to check the pulse again. Killua's heart wasn't beating. Gon was frozen for a moment, ice in his veins. N-No... Gon blinked, then blinked again. Gon's heart shattered into a million pieces as the reality of it settled in. He's...dead. Gon let out a wail, squeezing his eyes shut and clutching Killua's unbloodied shirts to his chest. Light flashed behind his eyelids, and he opened them to realize that his location had changed.

Gon sat alone, legs dangling off the edge of a branch in the middle of a forest he didn't recognize. It's...all gone. A tear rolled down his cheek, yet his face didn't show a single emotion. Everything he had ever known, had been ripped out from under him. Gon had shattered, and he was still trying to regather all the pieces. But they were scattered, and he couldn't find them all. Those were lost, and he'd never get them back again. Isn't it lovely, all alone. Heart made of glass a mind of stone. He didn't remember where he'd heard those words before, but they felt true. His mind was numb. His heart was shattered and pieced back together as best as he could but it was hollow, empty. What do I do now? He didn't know, his mind couldn't supply an answer. So he lay down on a comfortable tangle of branches, and closed his eyes. Hoping that just maybe, it was all a horrible, horrible, dream.

1177 words

To be continued...