2

Gon stood there and cried for a few minutes, squeezing his eyes shut as the tears cascaded down his cheeks. Aunt Mito...Grandma Abe...Noko... He wiped his eyes, then came to a decision. I saw some people in the market. They'll... They'll probably be dying too. I should go help them, at least...comfort them a little. It was awful, the feeling of uselessness. He couldn't do a thing to stop this sickness, or prevent the infected people from dying. But he could do this. So Gon pulled the covers over the lifeless forms of Aunt Mito and grandma Abe, then exited his house. Gon's breath hitched as soon as the air hit his nose. The scent of death, it was all around. Oh god- Gon snapped himself out of it, then activated En. He could only push it out about 20 meters, but as he walked he'd be able to sense if anyone was still alive. He slipped his 20 KG knife out of his pocket and started marking houses. An X, and a number. An X to show nobody was alive, and a number for the body count.

Gon marked 5 houses before he sensed a living person. Gon deactivated En to save his strength and opened the door, it was unlocked. There had been a dead body outside in the garden, presumably they had gone out and didn't lock it when they left. He heard a soft cough, then entered a room. Gon felt his heart break slightly when he saw a 3 year old girl with blonde pigtails sitting on a bed. I don't remember there being any other kids on the island... Although, he'd left for about a year and a half. "W-Who are you?" She mumbled, as Gon sat beside her on the bed. He smiled, "My name's Gon." She coughed again, then her eyes watered a little. "M-Mommy didn't come back yesterday. Where is she?" He pulled the kid into his lap, rocking slightly. "You'll see her again soon, I promise" He murmured, fighting his own tears. D-Damn it. She's already coughing blood, she's too far gone. But it still...hurts.

The little girl smiled a little, "Really?" He nodded. "Mhm, very soon. If you..." Gon thought about his words for a moment. "If you fall asleep, you'll see her when you wake back up again." She coughed a little more, Gon wiped the blood off the corner of her mouth with a sleeve so she didn't see it. "I do....feel....sleepy" She mumbled, then her eyes started to close. Gon stayed with her until her heart stopped beating, then carried her outside and set her next to her mother. Gon went through something like this with about twenty people, quite a few of them children. Once he'd gone to every house on the island, Gon started walking again. I'm the...only one left here. I should do something about it. So he gathered all the people, bringing them to the marketplace near the docks. He put all the children together, there were about thirty. The rest of them filled up nearly the entire marketplace, 258 bodies in all. Gon was tired, both his mind and his body. What made it even worse, was that he knew a great deal of these people.

Gon grabbed his phone from his bag, which he'd made a stop for back home as he made his loop around the island. Who do I call? He couldn't think of anyone at the moment. I could... He pressed a few numbers, then put the phone to his ear. "Hello? Japon committee police here" Gon averted his eyes from the death around him. "I'm calling from...whale island" He said. "Alright, what is the reason?" His hand trembled slightly. "E-Everyone's...dead. Some sort of sickness came through and-" There was a sigh on the other end. "Yeah, nice try kid. If that were the case you'd be dead as well. Listen, we don't have time to waste on prank calls" Then the lady on the other end hung up. Gon didn't move for a few moments, staring blankly at the ground. They think I'm...lying. He laughed. It was a bitter, broken laugh. "I wish I was" He said out loud. Gon was silent for a few more moments after his hand dropped. The tears started coming again, rolling down his cheeks like a waterfall.

His mind pulled a blank at what to do next, he slipped his phone back into his bag and looked out over the sea of death. I guess I could... make sure none of the animals eat them? That was the only thing he could think of. Then...his eyes fell on a group of people. He'd sectioned the bodies out in 3 parts. The kids, the people he knew, and everyone else. Noko went with the people he knew, 45 in all. Gon sat down on a stall counter and waited.