Chapter 28 - The Traitor

Start from the beginning

    "I just want to talk," pleaded Calum, his voice muffled through the door.

    "Well, did you ever think that we have nothing to say to you, traitor?" Michael laughed coldly.

    "Then could you listen? I'd like to explain what happened. I'm just as trapped here as you all, I never wanted this to happen."

    Luke was skeptical about that. What did that mean? The only way he'd be able to find out would be to open the door and let him in to talk. Given that he kidnapped Ashton and took him who-knows-where, he wasn't quite willing to allow him that privilege.

    Luke knew never to trust anyone, but he let Calum have an inch and didn't trust his initial instincts of hating the man, and look what happened. He brought him here and then Ashton got taken. How could he pretend that he was the best of the best if he couldn't keep track of one client? When he couldn't trust himself anymore?

    "Maybe we could give him a chance?" Michael said lowly to Luke. He knew Calum, or he thought he did. He wanted to give him the opportunity to explain himself, maybe make it right. If Calum was the guy Michael thought he was, he'd come around eventually.

    Luke sighed, shaking his head.

    "He's the one responsible for Ashton disappearing, I can't let you take the same risk. I don't want anything to happen to you,"

    Michael nodded, completely understanding Luke's concern.

    "You might be right."

    But when did he ever listen when Luke ordered him to do anything?

    He walked over and opened up the door, ignoring Lukes strangled gasp.

    "You have two minutes, and if you even think about trying anything..." Michael didn't know how to finish his threat, hoping he sounded menacing enough without needing to.

    "I won't, I promise," Calum sighed gratefully, moving inside the room, tilting to the side to bypass Michael who barely allowed him space to enter and looking at the floor when Luke set his glower upon him. He was pissed Calum was here and that Michael had allowed him in when he told him not to.

    "You better start talking," Michael growled. Calum looked up, nodding.

    "Mikey, I am so terribly sorry. I didn't mean for any of this to happen,"

    "Yeah, right," The green haired boy rolled his eyes.

    Calum inched forward, but stopped when Luke moved to grab the hilt of his sword. He held his hands up and moved backwards.

    "I swear, this was all my grandmother, she didn't give me a choice in this either, I was just a part of her plan."

    "What's even the goal? Why does she want you to be crowned king anyway?" Luke asked.

    Calum bit his lip.

    "I am technically related to Ashton. Ashton's great-grandfather had a bastard who was removed from the castle but taken care of outside of the kingdom. That was my grandfather, and he was outraged when he grew up and figured out where he came from, and his wife, my grandmother, decided to help him seek revenge. She did that by learning magic and vowing to take the throne back to her families side."

    "So it's all because of petty revenge that you've kidnapped Ashton?" Luke drawled, not missing the way Calum's eyes darkened before softening.

    "Well, yes, but it's my grandmother's plan. I didn't want any part of this, but I had to,"

    "After all that we've been through, Cal, I still can't believe you'd do something like this..." Michael shook his head, trailing off.

    Calum hesitated.

    "I...really don't know how to say this, but I don't really know you? That whole time except for when Ashton arrived at your campus...I was never there?"

    Michael looked puzzled, Luke kept his expression neutral as he tried to figure out what he meant by that.

    "My grandmother used her magic to fill in your memory and make you think that I was always there with you. I only arrived to the school a few months ago, when Ashton did."

    "So...our friendship..."

    "Technically wasn't real, although I do have the same memories, though that's sort of all they are," Calum rubbed the back of his neck. "I'm so sorry, I wish there was something I could do,"

    "There is, dipshit. Stop your grandmother! What can we do to get Ashton back?"

    Luke knew there had to be something they could do. Maybe he could get Calum on their side and he would help them find out where the prince was.

    Calum looked conflicted.

    "I really wish I could, but there is no way to stop her. I've made sure she isn't hurting him, you will get him back, but by then...it'll be too late."

    Michael scoffed, crossing his arms and looking away.

    "Mikey--"

    "Don't call me that! You lost that right the second you told me we weren't actually friends. I can't believe my entire life is a lie," He hissed, stepping away and farther into the room.

    "Calum, or whatever apparition you are, you need to leave." Luke said in a low growl.

    "Luke, let me—"

    "Don't even try it. You've upset Michael and you won't help me get Ashton back. I was right to hate you from the beginning. I hope you rot in hell," he snarled, pushing the boys shoulder so he turned around. Calum nodded sadly, head hung, and walked out of the room. Luke stepped away, giving Michael the space to say something if he wanted, but also close enough to see what was going on in case he needed to intervene.

    "Mike, I--" Calum trailed off. "What can I do to make this better?"

    Michael shook his head, small shrug rolling off his shoulder.

    "You can help us. Until you do that, we're no longer friends. Please leave."

***

Poor Mikey :( Why do I insist on being so mean to my characters??

But now we have a backstory! We know why the witch is doing this. How's that info about Cal being related to Ash?? plot twist enough???

Also, sorry it's been so long since the last update!! I'm going to either post another chapter from this book, or update the other one...gotta see how I feel the rest of the night. I just worked 4 12 hour shifts in a row and I'm kinda dying rn. 

Hope you're doing well! <3

~ashtonfortherwin