Chapter 11 - The Coverup

~Chapter 11~

*The Coverup*

"Hey, Ash, you got that bucket of onions?"

Ashton looked up, tears in his eyes as his manager walked over.

He sniffled, wiping the tears with his shoulder as they ran down his cheek under the protective plastic goggles he was given.

"Yes," he responded.

Calum laughed sadly.

"Aw, mate, you look pitiful right now," Ashton shrugged, small smile on his face because he knew it could not be helped. "The goggles didn't work?"

"No, not even a little bit." He'd tried cutting onions with and without the goggles on different days, but he still cried tremendously. His eyes were so sensitive for some reason.

"Ah, well, what color are your eyes?" Calum stepped close to him, peering at his face closely. Ashton's eyes widened in shock. Calum pushed the goggles away to get a better look. "Hm, usually it's people with blue or grey eyes that are this tearful," the manager took a step back, allowing his employee his personal space again. "Generally the lighter colored eyes are more sensitive to light and stuff like this. Although I guess hazel isn't that dark, they're kind of green today,"

Ashton had no idea what his friend was on about, but he just nodded.

"Here is the completed bin. It is also the last of them,"

"You're really a hero, Ash, most people kind of refuse to do the onions,"

"It is my job, so it is no problem,"

Calum nodded, pulling the bin over and popping the lid on.

"So my friends and I are having a game night in two days, on Friday. Do you want to come? We'd all love to have you,"

"Wow, truly?"

Calum laughed.

"Yeah, mate, you're pretty awesome. So what do you say?"

"What kind of games will you play?"

Calum shrugged.

"No idea, we usually decide there. Whatever games Michael, Harry, and I have. Harry might bring his roommate and Louis might be coming, but he's not really a gamer, he prefers to watch and commentate. Oh," Calum's eyes lit up as he leaned on the counter, still facing Ashton so he could talk to him. "If we're lucky, he'll emcee one of the games, he's hilarious. He pretends to be a sports commentator and talks in funny accents to announces things and make fun of Michael."

"That sounds like it would be enjoyable,"

"It is! Usually we play strategy games, but we've got a couple easy games. We might drink a bit, too."

Ashton nodded. It sounded like fun. Only there was one problem...

"Would it be acceptable if Luke came along as well?"

Calum bit his lip.

"I mean, I don't see why not. But..."

"What is the matter, Cal?"

Calum sighed.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Of course, anything." He was a bit confused why he was acting so strange all of a sudden.

"What's the deal with you and Luke? He told me the two of you needed to work the same shift because you just had to be together, and now you want him to come to game night? Don't you like, need a break from each other or something?"