Carelessness

Lavanya's Point Of View 

My pondering comes to a stop as a cool breeze touches my face, the cold air bringing tears to my eyes. I feel something wet on my cheeks and touch them. I became aware of the tears flowing down my face. I wipe them away with my hands and dry them on my palazzo pants.

I decide to cease painting once the foundation is complete. I check the time and then go downstairs to notice that the housekeepers were busily sweeping and dusting furnishings. The gardeners were clipping the front hedges and others were ensuring that the vegetable patch was well-maintained, even though Arnavji did the planting, which proved a little too boring for him at times.

I then go to the kitchen to cook myself some lunch before beginning to prep the vegetables for dinner.Khushi arrives not long after and freshens up and begins to help me by taking out the remaining ingredients that is needed for the lasagne like the pasta sheets and different type of cheeses.

"Khush, why don't you go change your clothes and wait in the living room while I finish this and put it in the oven?" I make a suggestion to her.

"No, I'll help you first. In any case, there isn't much else to do." Khushi responds to me.

To which I sigh before insisting "Exactly there is not much left so I can handle it just relax I will come to the living room when I am done."

"Fine. Only because you are so insistent." Khushi says.

Author's Point Of View...

Khushi finishes her evening shower and waits in the living room, as Lavanya had instructed, in her favourite recliner, which is next to the fireplace and offers a stunning view of the Alps.

Lavanya enters with two cups in her hand, one of which she hands to Khushi before sitting on the loveseat closest to the armchair.

"How was your day at work, Khush?" Lavanya inquires as they sip their hot chocolate.

"Hmm, (Khushi savours the beverage) My day went well; I am currently working with an international company, and the case is a little stressful; and I have yet to meet with the company's president to address the issue further." Khushi informs Lavanya.

"I see that this may be highly demanding, so please notify us if you feel overworked or under pressure, since this would be harmful to both you and the baby. Also, remember that Arnav and I are always here for you." Lavanya comforts Khushi and reaches out to caress her hand.

"I know La, I swear I'll take a step back when things become tough." Khushi replies.

They converse until they hear the sound of the door unlocking, indicating that Arnav has arrived home.

"Khush, could you please remove the lasagne from the oven while I greet Arnavji?" Lavanya asks Khushi.

"Sure." Khushi replies and heads of to the kitchen.

Arnav enters the foyer of the house and places his keys in the bowl that is kept on the sideboard by the garage door.

"How did your day go?" Lavanya greets and embraces him.

"It was good, just finishing up here before we leave for India, and how was your day?" Arnav says and reciprocates the hug.

"As usual, I started a new painting, ate lunch, and cooked dinner." Lavanya replies as she sets his coat, blazer, and briefcase on the sofa.

"After supper, Arnavji, I'd like to speak with you." Lavanya turns to face Arnav.

When the couple enters the dining room, Khushi has already set the lasagne on the table. She then walks into the dining room, with breadsticks and salad.