Chapter 25-4 Days Left

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, no problem," I nodded, sending him a quick smile before looking back down at the food on my plate.

* * * * * * * *

I snuck through the halls, throwing a look over my shoulder every couple of steps. I know that everyone was awake, but that wasn't why I was being quiet.

I was being quiet because I wasn't going to the cleaning cupboard. Although the people are amazing, it feels like they're hiding something from Leah and me. The house. The buttload of money. The secretive looks. It's definitely not normal. So I was going to the one place I was sure would give me answers.

Vlado's office.

I crept around a corner, stopping when I found myself in front of Vlado's door.

This was it. I could find everything or nothing.

I took a deep breath, psyching myself up for what I was about to do.

"Ok, I got this. I got this," I whispered to myself, shaking my hands free of their nerves.

Before I could rethink my decision, I swiftly pulled open the door and slid inside the room. I quickly but gently closed the door, waiting for the click of the door to take a breath.

I turned around and faced the room. It wasn't that flashy, but bits and pieces stood out more than others. The cream-coloured walls made every object and piece of furniture in the room seem darker than it actually was.

My eyes scanned the room from the left first, moving its way to the right. Although, it stopped when its gaze landed on the desk on the other side of the room. It was in the middle, closer to the back wall, giving off a powerful feeling.

I made my way over to it, creeping around to the front of it. I stood next to the chair that was tucked under the wood desk.

I scanned the top of the desk first. There wasn't anything that really grabbed my attention. A desk light. A stack of paper, A pen holder with some pens. Nothing interesting.

That was until I moved on to the drawers underneath.

I opened the first drawer, finding a few loose papers. I took the top one and skimmed the words.

Ambush at warehouse.

Nine members.

Six casualties.

Three deaths.

What the hell was that supposed to mean?

I shut the first drawer, moving on to the second. I pulled it open and found more papers. I didn't bother to read these ones though. They would probably have the same kind of thing as the other one.

Not long after, I pulled open the third drawer, expecting to find the same things before.

But what I saw made my stomach drop.

Only one object was in the drawer, but it was enough to prove my suspicions that they were hiding something.

My hand trembled as it reached down to grab the item. I pulled it out of the drawer, my hand struggling against the weight of the object for a moment. I stared in horror and disbelief at the thing I held, something I thought I would never have in my hands.

Its cold metal contrasted with my warm hands, and I felt my heart beat faster and faster the longer I held it.

Why the hell would he have this in his office drawer?

My thoughts were almost immediately cut off when I heard a click come from the other side of the room. My eyes instantly darted to the door that stood on the opposite side of the room. I knew in the back of my mind what the noise was, but I couldn't comprehend it.

I held the weapon tight in my hand as I took step after step to the door. There was no other noise made after that, just the click.

The rest of my body had come to the realisation, and bolted to the door. My free hand instantly went to the handle and turned it.

It didn't turn though.

I tried again, trying to convince myself that I just hadn't put enough pressure on the handle, but I knew I was kidding myself.

I pulled on the handle frantically, trying to open the door. But it wouldn't budge. Not one bit.

I took two steps away from the door and set the object in my hand on the closest table. I bounced on the balls of my feet before throwing myself at the door. Other than the throbbing pain in my shoulder, nothing happened. I repeated the action, again and again, failing to keep my face from contorting to one of pain. I gave up after a couple minutes, stepping away from the door and leaning against the closest wall.

I was stuck in here. But it wasn't on accident. I was sure of it.

Somebody had locked me in here.

But why?