Chapter 16

Leah POV

I could barely see the ground in front of me. I was walking around the halls of the large house, refraining from turning on any lights because I didn't want to risk waking anybody up.

I had tried to get back to sleep, but I knew it was pointless. Whenever I have a nightmare, I can never end up getting back to sleep.

*Flashback*

I laid down on the double bed under the thick covers of my blanket. All the doors into the house were locked and all the lights were off.

Everything was black except for the red light of the alarm clock beside me, illuminating areas of the bed. 11:46 pm.

My eyes closed for a moment, and it was then that there was the squeaking of the front door opening. The light of the entry seeped through the bottom of the door, lighting the bedroom relatively. Footsteps sounded on the other side of the door, and my heart began to beat faster and faster.

I closed my eyes quickly when the door handle of the bedroom turned. Light rushed into the room when the door opened. My eyes squinted slightly at the sudden burst of light, and footsteps could be heard again.

I deepened my breathing to appear asleep when the bed dipped. I didn't need to look at the person to know who it was.

"Hey, baby. Are you up?" I felt cold hands wrap around my waist and pull me into a chest. I stayed quiet.

I felt Lucas' lips moved along my neck, leaving a trail of kisses in its wake. "Wake up, baby."  

I tried pulling myself away from him when his hands started travelling up and down my stomach.

"Lucas, stop. I'm tired."  I tried to reason, but deep down I knew it wouldn't work. Lucas was a very persistent person. Lucas' hands just held me tighter as I tried shuffling to get away from him.

"Come on, Leah. Don't be such a tease." He kissed my neck again, rougher than before.

"How am I being a tease?" I wish I still had that courage. This was a memory from earlier in our relationship, a little bit after the first time he hit me. I was still brave enough to defend myself. How things have changed.

Before I knew it, I was looking up at Lucas as he hovered over me. His hands forced mine to my sides, and I could feel his hard glare burning into my face in the dark.

"When you're in bed all ready for me, I expect you to comply." He seethed. I felt myself shudder at his words. My body racked with shivers as I felt him move above me.

My heart was in my throat. I couldn't see Lucas, and that terrified me. I had to wait for him to move. I couldn't see anything.

Lucas bobbed his head down next to my ear, and I felt his breath fan against my ear.

"Now be a good girl, and stay, still." A whimper left my mouth and I closed my eyes tightly as Lucas reached for the hem of my shirt and lifted it above my head.

*End of flashback*

I shuddered at the memory and hugged myself. How could he do that to me? I don't know what I ever did to him. How could the man that I spent years with change in a single moment?

I skulked down the halls, trying to keep myself together. I didn't want to have another breakdown tonight. One was more than enough.

I reached for my scratchy and dry throat and grimaced.