Happier Than Ever by Billie Eilish

The bright lights and pounding music make my heart race but I love it. Being out with my friends like this is exhilarating, something I never want to lose. 

My phone starts ringing, I can feel it vibrate, and I go to look at the caller ID. My heart seems to stop for a second and I hold a finger out to my friends, silently telling them I'll be right back. They nod and continue dancing and laughing as I walk into a secluded hallway. I take a deep breath and slowly let it out before answering the call.

"I miss you so much, baby," I hear him slur his words together and I rub my temple.

"Are you drunk?" I ask him and I hear him curse under his breath as tires screech in the background. My heart beat picks up and I stand up straighter.

"Pull over, you shouldn't be driving drunk. Are you trying to get yourself killed?"

Ugh I honestly hate myself for being worried. The fact that he still has this much of a hold on me just makes me want to throw a chair against the wall.

"Why can't we just be together?" I hear him say and it sounds like he's slightly crying but I know better.

"You were my everything, yet all you did was make me fucking sad," I yell into the phone, taking all my anger out on him. I think back to all the shit he put me through and it just makes me want to cry.

Before we broke up my friends threw this amazing surprise birthday party for me. He was so late that he even missed me blowing out my candles. I called and called and he never picked up. When he finally got there he was mad at me for calling so much, shifting the blame onto me. He completely dismissed my feelings and made it all about him. I mean... It was my fucking birthday.

"I just need you, please," I heard his voice crack and for a second I felt bad, but only for a second.

Taking a deep breath I pull the phone away from my ear and hang up. All of a sudden I feel like I'm really going to start crying. I put a hand over my mouth and squeeze my eyes shut, trying to calm myself down. The tears fill my eyes but before they spill over my face I hear a voice from next to me.

"Uh, hey, are you okay?" It's a deep voice and when I open my eyes I'm met with a pair of deep brown ones. The person's features are literally stunning and I just nod my head. They tilt their head down, taking a closer look at my face.

"You don't look fine. I was just going to the bathroom but this feels much more important," I can't seem to break eye contact with them and they don't look away either. For some reason I feel a strong tension fill the small hallway.

"Just a problem with an ex of mine," I keep it short and vague and the stranger in front of me lifts an eyebrow, silently questioning me. They laugh a bit before leaning against the opposite wall.

"I'm a boxer actually, I could boom boom pow if you wanted. You know, lights out," They tell me comically, punching the air, and I laugh. An actual genuine laugh, a feeling that I haven't felt for months. 

"Wow, your laugh is super cute," The stranger in front of me compliments and my eyes widen.

How did they compliment me so easily like that? Besides they're way out of my league... Is this a joke or something?

"Haha very funny," I say sarcastically and they just shake their head at me. They step closer and I stand up straighter, looking up at them.

"I don't say things just to say them, I actually mean my words. Why would I waste my breath on lies?" Their rhetorical question throws me off guard and I just blink my eyes at them, not quite sure what to say. The attractive stranger winks before walking further down the hallway.

"I have to pee but you better wait for me, I want to dance with the prettiest girl here," They show me a pretty smile before disappearing behind a door. I blink, shocked at what just happened and look down at my feet with a smile now on my face. 

A genuine, giddy smile.

Author's Note

I hope you guys liked this short story! I know I haven't uploaded on here in a while but that's because I've actually been working on a book of mine! It's taken me a very long time and I'm so excited to finally publish it. If you are interested in that, then definitely stick around! Love you~~