18. A gift

After the birds we walked back towards the villa

After the birds we walked back towards the villa. Still talking about how he saves birds and loves to ride his horses. Laughing about random things like catching bugs and how to not pick the flowers.

I held my face trying to stop the pain in my cheeks. I just couldn't get past his ever so bubbly personality. He wasn't just a dick. He was actually quite funny. My momma always said that if a guy can make you laugh to be careful because he'd always be the one to steal your heart.

What's wrong. He said thinking it was something serious.

Nothing its just I havnt laughed or smiled this much since forever. I don't even know how long.

Yeah me to. He admitted. Come on he said as his face lit up like he had just remembered something.

We ran back inside towards a huge empty room. Acting out like a silly child as he slid across the floor in his bleach white socks.. Hardwood floors so shiny you could see yourself in them. All that stood in the center of the room was a shiny black piano and a few instruments in a corner.

You play? I asked. Stunned at all the accomplishments and talents that the man posessed.

I do. I havnt played in forever though.

Why not.

My mother used to make me play. When she passed away I just couldn't bring myself to do it without her. He started to press the keys one at a time as if familiarizing himself to an old friend.

What happened to her? I asked as I watched him familiarize himself with the keys.

Cancer. With all the money in the world and as many doctors as we have no one could save her. We have so much new technology now though it was just a little too late. You think you are powerful enough to take on the world and then when the world laughs back at you, what do you do. What an accomplishment it would be to become God. He said in a more serious tone.

It amazed me the more I knew about these men. These men that took me. They lived in another life. A world I didn't recognize and at first glance they were monsters but the more you looked inside you realised they were fragile just like you.

He started to play a note at a time. In a trance probably remembering his mom.

Elijah makes me play. I said trying to connect to him on a more personal level.

Grab something he said as he gestured towards the instruments.

I walked over to grab the violin and listened to him play the piano before I joined in. I still wasn't amazing but after a few minutes of warming up I got the hang of it. He was playing my immortal and hearing the piano and the violin together just sounded heartbreaking. I imagined him playing with his own mom and I couldn't help but remember my own.