Trying to cheat death

Start from the beginning

"I will" I said kissing him quickly and hurrying into the back of the rover. "Get us there as fast as possible" I said feeling for the commanders pulse.

"You got it" Raven clicked the rover into gear taking off carefully. Once we're away from the city she can turn the lights on and move faster. The rover was packed, Raven and Murphy in the front then Emori and Bellamy on the bench behind them. Clarke was across from me on the other side of the commander.

I let out a sigh, thanking my stars that she still has a pulse. It's weak but she is holding on for now. If Clarke and I hadn't been there she would have died. Grounders don't know how to treat a severe gun wound like this. "Here" Clarke offered an old stethoscope she must have gotten from her mother. With a nod I took it using it to listen to her heart more clearly. "How did you know she was still alive? Even I thought she had died" Clarke asked after a moment.

The commanders breathing pattern didn't change in the few minutes I listened so I leaned back taking the stethoscope out of my ears. "I felt her pulse right before the guards pulled us away, I guess I just hoped she hadn't slipped away yet. I won't be able to live with myself if I can't tell Freya I did everything I could" I sighed tiredly.

The rover was quiet as Raven turned on the lights and sped up. Every so often I checked her pulse. Her eyes were moving under her eyelids. "If we're trying to save the commander why isn't Freya here?" Murphy asked breaking the silence.

I could feel the whole rover turn its attention on me. This whole thing was my idea. It took a fair amount of convincing to get them to agree. "Because she could still die. I can't give Freya that kind of false hope only to take it away" I explained.

"Anna" Clarke's voice slightly panicked. She had her fingers on the commanders neck as if feeling for a pulse. "I can't find anything" she said.

Fidgeting with the stethoscope I held it to her chest trying to find the pulse that had been there. "Shit" I cursed standing up the best I could and starting compressions. The rover jostled from side to side with every bump. Clarke grabbed my shoulders to keep me from falling. Leaning down I pressed my ear to her chest and my fingers to her neck. "Come on, commander" I mumbled. Tilting her head back and pinching her nose I blew air into her lungs. Clarke took over compressions as I leaned away. Finally a small gasp of air escaped her lips and her chest began to rise again.

"How's it going back there?" Raven asked over the engine hum.

I was still catching my breath so Clarke answered, "She's still with us but we need to get to Murphy's light house now."

Raven took it as a challenge to get there as fast as her rover would go. The commander's pulse only dropped one more time on the ride. But after the second time I held the stethoscope to her chest listening the rest of the ride.

"This is it" Emori announced looking out the windshield between the front seats.

"How did you two find this place?" Bellamy asked.

"It was a happy accident" Murphy said sarcastically. "It belonged to some scientist or something. The grounder we ran into thought she was connected to the city of light" he added.

Raven pulled up as close as possible. The group making comments about the city of light being the next danger. Murphy and Emori jumped out to run to the door. I leaned down to whisper to the commander in the chance she could hear us, "Don't give up yet Freya still needs you."

Bellamy helped carry her to the lighthouse with Clarke following. I grabbed the bag we brought with us and stepped out of the rover. A sudden dizzy spell hit me making me grab the door to stabilize myself. As quick as it came it was gone.