Part 20

I walked for hours. I was probably a mess, I doubt they would let me in. But it wouldn't hurt to try. Well, it might, they have security guards... my brain argued. 

Shut it brain!

And you have a full days walk ahead of you.

Get out of my head.

My inconsiderate brain did not get out of my head. 

I reached the building. It was nothing special, gray concrete, rectangular windows, people going in and out. I had found my uncles epilogue online, it said he was a key founder in the Markson's company, and that his celebration of life was on floor 14, invite only.

I pulled my computer out of my bag and walked into the alley. "Okay, now the cams..." I muttered, as I unlocked the security cameras on my laptop. 

It looked like security guards were posted at every entrance, and more patrolled the upper floors. It looked like floor 14 was pretty empty security wise, although many people milled around, talking and drinking. 

I put together a plan. I took a quarter out of my pocket, and used it to raise myself in the air. The highest I'd ever raised myself up was twenty feet before I started losing strength. Raising myself in the air was as if I was raising a 90 pound weight in the air. 

I slowly raised myself until I'm muscles were screaming. I was thirty feet up. Falling from this height would kill me. Careful not to look down, I slowly moved myself closer to the side of the building, which I used as a ledge and hung onto the window. The quarter dropped to the ground. 

I scaled the side of the building until I got to the right floor. Of course, no windows were open.

I looked around. There was a fire escape, but it was 20 feet away. The ledge I was standing on was only two inches thick, there was no was I'd be able to make it over there. But there was no other way to get there. 

After slowly inching myself across the ledge and onto the fire escape, I looked around. All the windows were the non-opening time, and the fire escape just led down. The emergency window to enter the fire escape was locked. 

I held out my hands and pulled with my mind. The window slowly open, screeching like a dying cat. In the end, I was only able to open it a foot. I was able to slip through, onto a balcony above the ballroom. Luckily no one was up there.  

I looked around. This might be the perfect place to snag free food. Sadly, I stood out a lot. Everyone was wearing suits, or fancy dresses. My tee shirt and shorts might not work. 

I relaxed in the balcony, watching people talk and drink. For a funeral, they didn't seem sad. But I guess that was what a celebration of life is about. 

When I died (which would sadly probably be before I turn 18) I'd want one of these. Not like I'd have anyone to invite, but still. It was a beautiful ceremony/party. 

I took a quick nap in a storage closet and was currently planning my escape. All I had to do was sneak down the fire escape onto  the roof of a shorter building behind this one, then climb down the back of that. Easy peasy. 

I took one more look over the crowd. Most looked happy, some sad. Most were younger, and many had young kids. My uncle had only been 50 when he died. My mom was only 32, so quite the significant age difference, probably why they weren't close. My uncle had a wife, no kids. 

A familiar looking man walked onto the stage. He was saying a speech, I wasn't really listening. Until I saw his face. 

"My brother was a good man. I wish we would have been closer. He..." Clint Barton continued with his speech. 

Clint.

Agent Barton. 

Clint Barton was my uncle?

:) 

Bet you didn't see that one coming. 

Just a totally unrelated question. 

How many reading lists do you all have?

I have 5. 

Have a nice day.

-TFox