"It's the hub for the kingdom's black market; even law enforcement fear treading there. Most who go there never come back, well, in one piece. It's like all other Black cities in the other six kingdoms."

This information to any normal being would be terrifying. However, that wasn't the case for me. From a very tender age, I was never much of a scaredy-cat when it came to adventuring into restricted or prohibited areas. In fact, I was notorious for it and normally wound up in deep trouble from my parents and those involved. It's hard to explain, but I craved for danger at times, and, especially coming to the Underworld, my urges had suddenly doubled ... and I didn't know why.

I propped my hands on my hips and scoffed, "I'll be fine. Nothing is scarier than my grandpa having a bitchfest." Now that was a real nightmare.

Defeated, the conductor informed me what train to take before wishing me the best. However, with each word, his eyes bore a deep uneasiness that made my nerves prickle a little. I ignored it and made my way to my designated train. Hopping on it, the whole scene hit me hard.

It was empty. The whole train was completely vacant to the point I could hear myself breathe. A tad uncomfortable, I took a seat close to an exit and waited for the loud ping that signaled the doors were shutting. As they shut, the human part of me wanted to make a run for it. If only my dumb self had listened to that part of me.

XXX

About an hour had passed, and I could feel the energy in my body build up. At first, upon arrival to the Underworld, it had been bearable but, an hour in, there was a burning sensation in my chest. It was as though someone had set fire to my lungs. Jaw clenched; heat seared through my veins like a stream of lava at a rapid, pulsating speed. My gold-pitch-black scales began to replace my auburn skin as the intensity painted my big brown eyes a menacing red. My head started throbbing with so much force I felt like I was about to puke. I catch my reflection by the opposing window and two screw-like horns piercing through my skull to the outside world.

I was changing. Fast. However, this time -- like the very first time I ever turned -- I couldn't control it.

Not here, not now, I scolded myself. What was going on? Why was this happening?

My anxiety kicked in, and my hands shook uncontrollably as my chest tightened to the point I was gasping for air. I was entering a panic attack. The last thing I needed was to explode this carriage. Doing my best to calm down, I thought of what Dad had told me:

"Think of something calm and peaceful."

So, I closed my eyes and reminisced on my favorite day: the day when Dad took me ghost hunting at Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. It was my first time in Africa, and my father had surprised me with a birthday gift to visit the widest falls in the world. To say the place was elegantly scenic was an understatement. The very same day, he took me on our first safari ride, where I saw various creatures of the savanna in their natural habit. I am part Zimbabwean from my mother's side of the family, so this was a taste of my culture; well, the other half of me's culture. Still, it was fun and remarkably beautiful, just like my father's heart.

I miss him. I miss you, Dad.

Instantaneously, the scorching pain pacified. I was finding my peace – my center of tranquility. It took a few minutes, but I reverted into my human form. Good thing no one was around. I couldn't reveal my true self to anyone by the sounds of my journey thus far.

With a breath of relief, I patted my chest. "Jesus, that was a close call." The last time I failed to control my powers the fire brigade had to hose our whole house down. According to Gramps, that was just a fraction of my power, and that notion, alone, terrified me.

I was trying not to ponder on it too much when the speaker dinged.

"Welcome to Ashlin City, we wish you a pleasant stay."

Fraught, I found the nearest window and peered outside.

Dense with concrete, neon lights lit up Ashlin City like a spark to an Olympic Torch. However, despite the illumination, darkness swarmed the city like a plague, exuding a sinister atmosphere. The Sun never touched there; it was evident through the dead foliage and flora. Hovercrafts and multiple aerial vehicles flew by like flies to a rotting plant; heavy traffic was abundant in a cloud of thick smog. Rundown skyscrapers, the seemly stretched forever, were drenched in advertisements of all kinds – mainly brothels and bars. Skyscraper to skyscraper, several bridges crisscrossed, giving pathways for pedestrians to cross. Shorter, heavily graffitied buildings accompanied by washing lines and electric wires hung so low; they almost touched the ground. As if the gods were crying at the city's dismay, rain poured from furious red clouds as the train came to a stop.

The city's aura was the absolute opposite of the previous cities I had crossed. Everything appeared dilapidated, neglected, and murky.

The pixelated neon light returned and lit a path for me to take; I followed it. Creatures of all kinds roamed the streets: some had heads of reptiles, others possessed horns of differing sizes, and a few, with nothing at all, bore more humanoid features. The stench of pollution filled my lungs and forced me to break out into a harsh, throat-scratching cough from time to time. It didn't help I had asthma.

Lights flickered in a spasmodic fashion as I walked past what I perceived to be a bunch of bars. Half-naked, skimpy women with devilish horns hissed at me as I strolled through. I obviously wasn't their prime prey for the night. Men as large as elephants eyed me seductively, but I paid no attention to them; my interest was nonexistent.

Naturally, I avoided the alleys because I wasn't in the mood to get killed. I stuck to the paths with overhead lights and bright neon advertisements till I reached a derelict building. The pathway light disappeared and a green 'destination arrived' notification popped up.

Removing my specs, I just stared for a good three minutes then just dropped the package by what looked like the entrance and left. There was no way in Hell, I was going to knock on that door.

However, just as I turned away, a hand grabbed my throat and pulled me back. A sharp, cold object pressed against the skin of my throat and, before I could react, a deep and threatening voice pierced the nighttime air.

"If you dare move, you die, and we wouldn't want that now. Isn't that right, sweetheart?"

 Isn't that right, sweetheart?"