Chapter Forty-One

Corey arrived at the Scottsdale Airport a half hour before Henley's flight from Baltimore. He had his carryon bag in hand, special permission to check through his unloaded handgun, and his police identification, a verification for the security detail assigned to Henley. I was all about bringing her home as quietly as possible.

Getting a cup of coffee and passing casually through a magazine and gift shop, he made a covert effort to see if anyone was alerted by his presence or seemed suspiciously awaiting him. He continued this vigilance all the way to the restroom nearest the gate where Henley and an undercover officer would be arriving in a matter of minutes. There he took out the sealed package used to transport his firearm and box of ammunition, and loaded the handgun, putting it safely into his concealed holster. Corey was concerned about his movements being monitored that day. So much so, he did not even tell Elora of the assignment to, as yet again, leave Nevada.

Watching the passengers arrive through the glass partition, he finally saw a robust, thirty-something man accompanying a young, frail-looking blond. She wore a standard gray warm up suit, probably provided her by the hospital. As they entered the reception area, Corey approached them casually. He took out his phone and produced his identification on the screen. Showing it to the undercover officer, Corey got a quiet nod and the three of them proceeded out of the airport terminal to the parking area where he felt isolated enough to speak freely.

"Henley . . . I trust officer the officer here's been good company?"

"Yeah. He's been great . . . It's good to see you again, Lieutenant." She gave him a reassuring smile.

"So, we finally get to meet again."

The girl, looking pale and somewhat undernourished, managed to be socially astute.

"Yeah, but I think that first time was much more . . . memorable."

Corey smiled back. "It was pretty intense, wasn't it? To be honest . . . I really wasn't sure we'd get rescued like we did."

"God. I had my doubts too. But now, you might say I owe my life to you, Lieutenant."

"Hey. All part of this crazy job I've chosen. Greely here knows the risks. Right brother?"

"Absolutely," the undercover officer said, opening the back door for Henley. He then reached out a hand for Corey to shake.

"Rob Greely, Jeffers. Glad to meet you."

"Likewise, man. Let's get this young lady back to her mom."

As the two men sat in the front, Henley leaned forward from the back, expressing enthusiasm, "I've told Jaelyn I'm coming home from the hospital. But was told not to say when."

"That's important," Corey said, starting the car.

"They were so strict there. That FBI guy had to be right next to me every minute when I was given a phone to call mom and Jae . . . Absolutely no privacy! There was so much I wanted to say to Jaelyn."

"Well, once home, you'll get to feel a bit freer, I'm sure," he said. He reflected on all Henley had told him about her and Jaelyn long term relationship. "It's just that . . . any details about the case should not be discussed, Alright? As I explained to you back in the hospital."

"Yeah, I understand why. But trust me, that was the last thing I wanted to talk to Jay about. God. I missed her so much!"

"Well, I'm sure your mom's going to be pretty excited to see you, too, young lady. So, let's get you there."

Corey set the GPS on his phone to Henley's mom's address. Then spoke to officer Greely as he commandeered the Nissan out of the airport parking lot.

"Rob, I understand there'll be a Scottsdale sheriff detail outside Mrs. Templeton's home when we get there?"