Right, Friends

A FRANTIC KNOCK on their door scared the living daylights out of Natasha and Steve, who were lounging on their couch. Natasha and Steve synchronously turned to look at each other with suspicious and wary looks. They were on the run, after all. Natasha put her phone down and slowly approached the door. Steve pulled her hand towards him and turned her to face him. They were only an inch apart. Steve shook his head, gesturing to Natasha not to get the door. Though it was supposed to be a warning, they both felt butterflies in their stomachs. However, now was no time to think about that. Natasha nodded slightly, and silently gestured to his shield on the floor. Steve held the shield, preparing for battle in case Ross was at the door. A loud grunt from outside resound through the house, making Natasha and Steve flinch a little. Steve pushed Natasha slightly behind him, his hand holding her waist. Natasha looked at him, eyes filled with hope and confusion at the same time. She shook the thoughts out of her head and grabbed her 'in case gun' again.

"You have ten seconds to open the door," A voice could be heard from outside. Natasha shook her head incessantly, gesturing to Steve not to open the door. Steve agreed with Natasha's opinion, and they both backed away from the door. Approximately nine seconds later, the door blew up in an explosion. Steve immediately used his shield to cover both him and Natasha, but mostly Natasha. They shut their eyes tight, trying to protect their faces as much as possible. Fire was spilling out everywhere. Natasha and Steve fell to the ground then rolled on it due to the impact, and Natasha landed on Steve. Their eyes widened to the size of dinner plates, but now was no time for romance. They got up and Natasha started shooting any figure she could see through the smoke. Steve threw his shield at them while protecting both his and Natasha's faces, which made it pretty hard for Natasha to aim at certain points, but it was okay since Steve did not shield them that much. Natasha could protect herself with her gun. The smoke faded and a face could be seen. It was secretary Ross.

"Hiding together, I see," Secretary Ross scoffed, a wide smirk on his face due to the fact that he found them.

Natasha lowered her gun a little, then she rolled her eyes and sighed.

Steve spat, "What the hell do you want, Ross?"

"Going against your ethos, I see," Natasha muttered to Steve. Steve could not help but chuckle softly. The 'language' quote from Steve was so iconic among the avengers that they used it on a daily basis. However, they could not meet up anymore after civil war.

Secretary Ross smiled and said, "You know exactly what I want. Give up, you're coming with us."

"Or else?" Natasha asked menacingly, her eyes shooting daggers at Secretary Ross.

"Or else we will bomb this place up."

"Haven't you just done that?" Natasha laughed under her breath.

Secretary Ross replied, "It will kill both of you, this one."

Natasha gulped, trying to hide her fear. She shook her head and sighed, then turned to look at Steve, who was just as hopeless as her. Natasha stared at the floor, which made Ross smile. Natasha's eyes widened. A side smile was plastered on her face as she giggled.

Steve raised an eyebrow, not knowing if Natasha was going crazy or felt defeated.

Either way, they were dead, he thought.

"Well, Ross," Natasha said, glee twinkling in her green eyes. "You think you already have us, but we have the upper hand."

Natasha pressed a button she was carrying as a keychain and a smoke bomb went off. Natasha and Steve ran off, fleeing for their lives.

"Thanks for saving me," Steve said, smiling gratefully. Natasha, whose face was covered with scars like Steve's, shrugged.

"You've saved me before. It's what friends do."

"Right, friends."

Natasha smiled, knowing that she friend-zoned him back.  Steve wished he had not mentioned the word 'friends' when they were driving a few years ago.

Friends.