Love is For Children

A/n: This is carrying on after the opening of the prologue, so if you have not read the prologue (if so, how did you get so far?), I highly recommend you do so right now.

"No, I can't let her go again." Steve thought to himself. He gulped as he ran like the wind, catching up to Natasha. He grabbed her by the waist and pulled her closer to him, making her shriek.

Shooting daggers at Steve, Natasha tried to escape from his grasp but Steve held onto her like she was about to fall from a cliff. He held onto her like he had never done before. He felt hot tears well up in his eyes as he broke down, still holding Natasha tight. She stared into his blue eyes.

Steve sobbed, "Nat-Natasha, I-I am so sorry for cheating. I truly am. I know I hurt you, and I'm v-very sorry. I know it isn't an excuse, but ever since B-Bucky...got snapped, I didn't dare get close to anyone-for what if something happened to them too? So I pushed you away, then I-I made a huge mistake. I completely threw you out of my-my life by hooking up with that girl. I don't even know her name. I understand if you never forgive me, but please know it was not because of you-at all. I just love you too much."

Fighting back the urge to stay in Steve's firm arms and kiss him, Natasha failed to hold back tears. She knew Bucky's 'death' had changed him, but she never knew it had changed him that much. He reminded her of the old her, before Steve had, per se, fixed her.

"I know you went through a lot, Steve," Natasha paused, tears still rolling down her cheeks. "I want to believe you'll never hurt me again-trust me, I really want to. But I don't know that for sure. The one thing I know for sure, though? You broke my heart. You broke my heart and it hurt like hell. It was one of the only times I opened up my heart and you broke it like it was nothing. I never want to go through that again. For that to happen, I never have to get in a serious relationship again. Not with anyone, and especially not with you."