Chapter 28 | Conceding Defeat

Start from the beginning

"No, my King, I would never." Vandor sounded disgusted by the mere thought. His long black hair was strewn around his shoulders, angular eyes narrowed in dissatisfaction. His back was to Zalas, in an arrogant move that the Dragon Prince was studiously ignoring. "But surely you understand-

Darius zoned out. Vandor had been continuing on this vein ever since hearing of the challenge issued by the pirate, Obsidian Bones, but no matter how his General griped and groaned, Darius would not change his decision.

If he was honest- Darius was well aware of Vandor's concerns, and if it had been anyone else, he probably would have agreed. It was unheard of for him to go out of his way to meet the one who had issued the challenge- instead of having them come to him.

But concerning this particular scenario, Darius found that his attitude had become ... what was the word? Indulgent? Yes, perhaps that was it.

This ... pirate, was an oddity to him. Obsidian Bones was an existence previously shunned in their world- with his father being who he was.

And yet ... Darius's gaze slid across to Zalas.

The Dragon Prince was looking out over the coastline with a distinctly bored expression on his face, however Darius was skilled enough with hiding his own emotions to spot a façade when he saw one. At some point, the Prince had- albeit grudgingly- come to respect this pirate, and although Zalas was young, his respect was not so easily won.

Darius thumbed the creation stone that was still tucked snugly in his pocket with a thoughtful expression. Although the Bones brat was irritating, Darius was curious to know what it was about him that had earned Zalas's respect. And at the end of the day, the brat was still a pirate with no status in their world; and the challenge was a personal one. Darius did not have anything to lose by accepting it- but neither did he have anything to gain.

However, as he had just identified- he was feeling rather indulgent. He had told the pirate previously that any challenge issued by him would be welcome, and the pirate had taken him up on his offer. Darius would not sully his honour by refusing or dictating the location. He would humour the brat's wishes and go to him. Doing so would not impact the outcome.

Vandor- upon seeing this look of contemplation on Darius's face, tsked bitterly and bit his tongue. It appeared that his King was set in his decision and would not be swayed. So, the General's sharp eyes turned to the Dragon Prince instead.

"And since when have you lowered yourself to position of messenger," Vandor sneered.

The glance Zalas threw Vandor was equally disdainful. "It would be dangerous for you to assume such things of me." The Dragon Prince folded his arms tightly across his chest. "I merely have an interest in the outcome. That is all."

Darius felt some surprise, although his outward expression did not change. So, it seemed that Zalas's motivation was similar to his own.

"Zephyr said that he is on par with you now," Darius inserted nonchalantly. "Is that true?"

Zalas snorted. "Hardly," he scoffed. "I have not fallen so low."

"Oh?" Darius handled the ships wheel easily as he made a slight adjustment to their course. "It is rare for Zephyr to overexaggerate though."

"My Uncle," Zalas spat, "has not witnessed any such fight between myself and that ... creatin. How would he be informed of such things?"

Darius's lip curled. "Careful, Ascain. Some might think you were getting defensive."

Vandor laughed at that, while Zalas ground his teeth in irritation but held back his retort. Darius's gaze swept over the insulted Prince with amusement. Zalas had always been quick to anger.