2 | Bruises

"Honestly, Abraxas, you're hopeless," I said with a sigh as I sat opposite the platinum-haired boy in the library. I had been attempting to tutor him on Potions for the past hour now and it seemed as though we had gotten even further away from his understanding than when we had begun.

"It isn't my fault! We're only a month into the school year and that walrus, Slughorn, is already out to get me," Abraxas scowled as he crossed his arms and leaned back in his chair.

I opened my mouth to reply when the chair next to Abraxas was roughly pulled out, its feet screeching against the floor.

"Hello, Abraxas," Eleanor chirped as she plopped down right next to him, leaning awfully close.

I watched in amusement as he looked as if someone had just scratched nails against a blackboard before sighing and plastering on a fake smile. "Hello, Eleanor," he replied slowly.

She giggled before smacking his shoulder, missing the way he winced in pain and rubbed at the spot. "I've told you so many times to call me Ellie. Oh hello, Cordelia," Eleanor grinned as she caught sight of me.

I smiled softly at her before shifting my eyes towards Abraxas who was watching me with pleading eyes.

"What did you have for lunch today, Abraxas? They had your favorite pudding," She said, shifting her attention back to the boy, her eyes wide and unblinking.

"Um, how do you know what my favorite pudding is?" he asked painfully as she grabbed onto his shoulder.

"I know everything about you, silly, as any good fiancé should," she giggled once more, the high-pitched noise making my eye twitch in slight annoyance.

"Fiancé? We aren't engaged," Abraxas said with a bewildered look on his face.

"We will be soon. Oh, I need to go find Walburga, she's waiting for me in the common room. I'll see you later," Eleanor said with a large smile before leaning forward, planting a kiss on his face and flitting off towards the exit.

Abraxas made a face and wiped hastily at his cheek. "Cordelia, now would be a good time for you to leave the Dark Lord and marry me. Save me from this monstrosity," he pleaded.

I laughed before pushing the open textbook towards him. "Only if you pass Potions this year with an Outstanding," I teased.

I watched with amusement as he grinned and quickly pulled the textbook closer, scrawling down notes on a piece of parchment.

"Cordelia," I looked up to see Tom standing next to me stiffly.

I smiled while Abraxas greeted him with a bow of his head and a 'My Lord'.

"Come with me," he said, ignoring Abraxas and gesturing me to stand up before making his way out of the library without waiting for me.

I looked at Abraxas apologetically, which he waved off, before following after Tom who stood waiting by the entrance.

"Yes, Tom?" I asked, hooking my arm with his as he began to lead me towards the common room.

"Why were you with Abraxas?" he questioned, keeping a smile on his face as he greeted various students we met along our path.

I furrowed my eyebrows at his question. "I was tutoring him in Potions as I do each year," I explained.

We entered the Slytherin common room which was completely empty. Eleanor and Walburga must have headed up to our dormitory. Tom led me to the leather couch and sat down, pulling me down next to him as well.

"I thought it would've been assumed but I suppose I will have to say it to you explicitly. You are not to be around other males one-on-one without either Cornelius or I accompanying you," Tom said, his lips lifting in a slight sneer.