xxvii

It was surreal for Maia, here she was getting on a Quinjet with Sharon and Theo so she can meet her family tomorrow for the first time

It was surreal for Maia, here she was getting on a Quinjet with Sharon and Theo so she can meet her family tomorrow for the first time. She felt nervous but she mostly felt excited, she knew that would change once she woke up tomorrow and realized how soon she would meet them but for now she was planning on soaking up the excitement for as long as she could.

"How are you feeling?" Sharon asks softly from her spot next to Maia, Maia sighed before looking down at her feet she could feel the weight of the monitor clasped around her ankle if meeting her family goes wrong at least she would get to be free after this. "I'm alright, I'm nervous but alright. Thank you for coming." Maia places her hand over Sharon's and squeezes in thanks.

Sharon nods gratefully before she looked away because pink was starting to appear on her cheeks. "Pilot says it will be about 5 hours and 30 minutes to get to Jocotenango, Guatemala and that doesn't include getting a ride to the actual hotel we're staying at," Theo states as she walks back into the cabin and takes a seat across from the couple. Maia noticed that it was a different type of plane, they were quieter than Maia was used to at least this one so she could actually hear Theo from across the plane.

Instead of answering Maia nods and places her hands to rest on her lap, she couldn't help but let her mind wander. She thought about how her Dad and if he looks like the rest of the family, Maia doesn't know how hard that would be to see considering she hasn't seen her Dad's face in 10 years, it even could be a little over Maia couldn't be sure. "Can I ask something?" Maia says quietly, she watches as two heads snap towards her and Sharon gives her a quick and reassuring nod. "Does the family know what happened to Dad and that I was responsible?" Maia's heart ached as she said the words but she had to know what she was walking into, it would break her heart all over again if they knew that she was the reason her father was dead.

"They were told by S.H.I.E.LD that Ciro died but they do not know how he died and you aren't responsible for his death Maia, you need to know that." Sharon tightened her hand that was holding Maia's, it wasn't enough to hurt her at all it was just enough pressure to convey that Sharon was there for her. From the other side of the plane, Theo nodded in agreement which made Maia let out a sigh. She heard what they were telling her but she just didn't believe it, if she hadn't believed the person who said they can take all her pain away she wouldn't have been kidnapped.

Maia knew deep down that she couldn't blame herself for not thinking clearly, she was just grieving and she thought at most the man would give her drugs but never in a million years would she have thought that she would've been pushed into the van and by the time she heard the click of the gun behind her it was too late, they hit her across the head and stuffed her into the van before sticking her in a plane so she can fly across the country. All Maia ever wanted was for the pain to stop, but now it seems like the pain is never-ending.

She didn't realize she brought herself to tears with her thought until she heard someone sniffle along with a tear drop onto her hand, she realized that someone was her. She huffed at herself as she reached up and wiped her hand across her nose, she let out a shaky sigh before she let her head rest against the cold metal sides of the airplane.

"How much longer?" Maia's voice cracked as she asked looking at Theo, she felt like she's been on the plane for hours but she knew it wasn't that long. "I don't know, let me check." Theo unbuckled and carefully walked towards the cockpit to speak to the pilot. "Hey, I'm here for you. I know you think it's your fault but it's not, you were 15, and not to mention you were grieving the loss of your little sister. I know me saying that isn't going to take away the blame but maybe it can help a little." Sharon leaned over and pressed a kiss to the side of Maia's head.

Maia let out a shuddering breath and leaned against Sharon's arm that was resting on the armrest in between them, Maia tilted her head to watch as Theo walked back and sat in her seat. "The pilot said we should be there in 3 hours. He also said we're making good time too." Maia nodded at Theo, she was grateful that Theo indulged her curiosity and went to check because that means a lot to Maia.

She tightened herself against Sharon's arm but she wasn't so tight that she knew she would hurt Sharon, because Maia's hurt enough people in her life. She was ready to stop and she hoped that meeting her family is just the first step.

 She was ready to stop and she hoped that meeting her family is just the first step