xxv

Something big has been on Maia's mind for a little bit, she knows that Sharon can tell something is going on but thankfully Sharon hasn't pressed Maia to talk about it knowing that if Maia wanted to she would say something, well, she thinks it's a...

Something big has been on Maia's mind for a little bit, she knows that Sharon can tell something is going on but thankfully Sharon hasn't pressed Maia to talk about it knowing that if Maia wanted to she would say something, well, she thinks it's about time to bring it up to see what Sharon thought about it. "Hey Sharon, can I ask you something?" Maia asks looking up from her plate of breakfast that Sharon made for her, Sharon nodded as she turned her head to look at Maia softly, since they didn't have a dining table and they didn't want to sit at the bar they often ended up eating their meals in front of the small tv. "Of course, what's up?" Sharon mindlessly muted the tv so she can focus on Maia who was in front of her.

"So as you know, Agent Crawford is working to get me off my monitor well I was wondering if it would be possible if I could go to Guatemala and see my Dad's family if they can be tracked down." Maia's heart was beating so quickly that it echoed in her ears as she waited for Sharon to answer. "Well, I don't see why not but you're gonna have to talk to Theo about that but it sounds like to me you want to do this before you get the monitor off, right?" Sharon paused and waited until Maia nodded to keep talking.

"That I think would help them sway into your favor because they would want to track you and I would go with you because I'm your girlfriend and Agent Lewis is still after you so you need to have someone to look after you and protect you. You need to talk to Theo about this though, I can't overstep and ask the supervisors anymore." Sharon softly said squeezing her hand on top of Maia's who gulped and nodded, she sat back against the couch putting her legs under her slightly. "I know, I'm just scared. I know you and you understand me, I just don't want to get my hopes up and denied and I don't even know where to find my family. Are they even still alive?" The question was more rhetorical until she saw the look on Sharon's face, she had a guilty look.

Maia closed her eyes and rubbed her face, she could hear the way Sharon's heart was speeding up but Maia knew it was due to fright. "Am I too late?" Maia's voice cracks as she immediately thinks the worse, Sharon gets wide-eyed as she shakes her head quickly and turns to face Maia putting her hands on her forearms rubbing softly. "No no, it's not that. It's just, you're grandparents are dead but you have one aunt and 2 uncles, as far as I know, they don't know you exist but both your uncles have 5 kids combined and your aunt has 3 children. So, sweetheart." Sharon takes one of her hands off of her forearms and reaches up to caress her cheek. "You aren't too late." Maia pressed her lips together to keep her mouth from wobbling from emotion.

"I can see my family?" Maia's voice cracked, she could feel her eyes filling with tears, it wasn't from sadness instead she was overcome with happiness and for the first time, hope. Instead of answering Sharon just nodded, both of them knew that Maia shouldn't be getting her hopes up like she is but she can't help it, for once something is going right and if she gets to meet the family she's never known in the process, that is magical for Maia.

Sharon kissed Maia on the lips quickly before pulling back and brushing a piece of stray hair away from Maia's face. "We need to ask Theo before we can do anything so of course, S.H.I.E.L.D could say no but we can't focus on that alright? Yes, we need to be aware but we need to also be positive." Maia presses her lips together and nods, she wants to ask a question but is afraid to, but it seems that Sharon already knows that Maia wants to speak up. "What's going on in that brain of yours?" Sharon taps the side of Maia's head slightly making Maia roll her eyes affectionately. "I was just wondering, do you know where they are? Like the town in Guatemala?" Maia adverted her eyes back to her food and started to slowly eat as she waited for Sharon to respond.

"Yes, they live in Jocotenango, Guatemala. To our knowledge, they've been there for a very long time. Your family goes back generations but they will know more than what S.H.I.E.L.D has on file because we didn't find a lot about you. We just had the HYDRA files to go on and a few web pages about you, we didn't even have your parents' names on file. HYDRA must've wiped them as soon as they killed them." Maia couldn't help the whimper escape her throat, she brushed off Sharon's concern with a wave of her hand. "Elena and Ciro, I miss them so much." Maia didn't think about her parents after but she has been now considering she wants to visit her Dad's family.

Sharon sighs next to her before she lifts her hand and starts to rub soothing circles on Maia's back, Maia kindly smiles at Sharon before she reaches across the plates to grab the remote and unmutes the tv filling the living room with noise again ending the conversation.