xiii

Her shoulders tensed as she was being led by two guards towards her new cell for the night

Her shoulders tensed as she was being led by two guards towards her new cell for the night. Sharon had given her earplugs telling Maia that she could use them if she wants to as she was transported, if not that is fine too so Maia didn't use them. She kept them in her pants pocket knowing that Sharon didn't say anything about keeping them for another time in the future.

Maia was shoved into the cell, she almost slipped but she caught herself before she could. The automatic door closed and Maia was alone, well as alone as she could be. The cells were different than HYDRA's because it was almost all glass, Maia stood up and walked towards the glass putting her hands against the cold glass. She gulped and closed her eyes before putting her head against the glass.

She stepped away and walked towards the bed that was in the corner of the room, she slowly sat on it expecting something hard instead she was surprised to see that it was much softer than the one she was used to. She lifts her legs so she can lay flat on the bed and was shocked at how comfortable it is, as Maia is laying there she realizes, this cell has powers just like the one before but instead of blocking the sound completely it only mutes it a little bit so it isn't as overwhelming for her.

Maia lets out a breath before she swings her legs towards the edge again, she watched as the agents outside walk past her a few times but unlike the one before no one stays guard outside her cell so Maia was alone. She stands up and walks towards the glass again before she takes a sit in front of it sitting cross-legged. Maia puts her hands up against the glass, closing her eyes she starts to feel the cold against her fingertips. She opens them when she can feel someone staring at her, she jumps when she sees the agent from before, Grant.

"Can you hear me?" Grant asks with a smirk, Maia looks around confused but she gets the answer when she sees speakers in the corners of the room. Maia nods hesitantly. "Good, I'll be leaving for a long amount of time. If you say something though I will know, remember we come in three's." Grant smirked before putting down the microphone that he was holding and leaving Maia alone.

She stands up and steps away from the glass tightening her fist in anger, Maia was so stupid she's letting her guard down because they're treating her better than HYDRA did but that was the point. She forgot about the rule of three, she knew the saying "Cut off one head and three grow back." and she knew that HYDRA took that to heart sending three agents undercover for a big job like this.

That meant she wasn't safe, not even with Grant Ward gone. She could feel her heart speed up, she put her hand over her chest trying to calm her breathing but she felt like she couldn't get air in. She stepped back in fright as dark spots start to impede her vision, she can vaguely hear the door open but doesn't pay attention to it, she was going to die in captivity.

She can see the outline of a person before it all turns black.

||

As soon as Maia tries to open her eyes she can feel a headache coming on, she lifts her hand to try to rub her eyes but she finds that she can't move her left arm. Despite the pain, she snaps her eyes open quickly looking down to see a handcuff from before around her wrist.

She looks around confused trying to figure out where she was, she was in some hospital of some kind. She froze when she heard a voice start to get closer then the door opened. "Hi, how are you feeling?" Sharon asks smiling. "Um, confused. What happened?" Maia's voice was hoarse as she spoke, she tugged slightly on the cuff again but let her head rest against the hospital pillow.

"Panic attack and I'm afraid it's the policy for those cuffs to stay on. But you should be able to go back again soon." Sharon said gently, Maia closed her eyes and gave a listen to Sharon's heart which wasn't beating as fast as the hearts were beating of the guards when they came close to her. "Why aren't you scared of me?" Maia can't help but ask as she still looks at the ceiling.

"Because I believe you were forced to this, I don't believe that you wanted to do this. Maybe it's a facade but I don't believe that, we always need someone in our corner." Sharon smiled slightly before turning towards the door when the doctor came in. "She'll be fine, just a panic attack." The doctor spoke to Sharon lowly but of course, Maia could hear what he was saying, Sharon nodded and said her thanks before walking closer to Maia and removing her handcuff from the hospital bed before she helped Maia put her feet on the ground. "Now, I assume you don't want me to put handcuffs on any more right?"

Sharon watches as Maia nods slightly. "Okay, I can keep the handcuffs off but I'll have to hold your arm. Are you alright with that?" Maia freezes slightly, no one has ever asked for her permission before. "Uh yes, I am. Thank you, for asking me." Maia stands up shakily using the arm Sharon gives her for help. "Of course, let's go." Sharon puts her hand on Maia's forearm but it wasn't tight like the guards held before her.

If Maia really wanted to she could break out of the hold and make a run for it but she knew she wouldn't make it far with all the guards and something in her was telling her she didn't want to hurt Sharon, so she didn't.