Saucy Indulged Nighties

____________________________

"Sex appeal is fifty percent what you've got and
Fifty percent what people think you've got.
~ Sophia Loren

____________________________

"Can I ask you a question?" I sigh, setting down my pen and looking up at Deanne. It's Saturday morning and we're studying at In House Cafe on Harvard Ave. down the street from my apartment.

Deanne puts her notes down and looks at me. "Sure, what's up?"

I fidget with my hands. Ever since hearing those girls gossip yesterday afternoon my mind has been running rampant with stories of what Professor Davenport could possibly be doing with them. So much so that I couldn't get my mind settled enough last night to actually get any real sleep.

"Professor Davenport," I begin and then pause. "When you told me to be careful with him after that first lecture... was it because he... he has been known to hook up with students in the past?" I look up to meet her eyes curiously.

Deanne groans and squeezes her eyes shut. "Not good," She mumbles.

"What's not good?"

"You're curiosity about him, his ab...." She cuts herself off. "It's just asking for trouble. Okay?" She rubs her eyes and extends her hands in exasperation.

I narrow my eyes at her and wonder what she was going to say, but don't ask. I feign innocence instead hoping she will elaborate.

"I'm so confused." I shake my head, which really I am. "It was just a question."

"Yes and questions about Davenport are never a good thing." She scoffs.

"Why no.."

"He's a complex man, Ali. If there's anything I've learned from working with him, he's a complex man with complex tastes and if you like him you should probably squash any kind of..."

"Wait... whoa, whoa... I was just asking because I overheard something yesterday. Not because I..." Oh, can't say it out loud, huh?

"What?" Deanne perks up. "What did you hear?"

I take a deep breath and exhale. Here goes. "I was walking down Newbury when I overheard a couple of girls talking about Davenport engaging in... well, extracurriculars with a few students and whether or not they believed he was still pursuing them now that he's on staff full time. So, Is it true?"

Deanne leans back in her seat and purses her lips. She had that he is so not going to be happy about this look on her face.

"Wait, you're not going to tell him are you?!" I jump, putting my hands on the table.

She winces, "Sorry Ali, but he sort of asked me to keep an ear out."

I blanch. Shit. Wait, did that mean there was some truth behind the stories then? My blanch turns into a carefully calculated stare before I cock an eyebrow at Deanne.