Chapter 16 - A Promise of Survival

NP: A Promise of Survival (by LUCIA)

~♠·☬†☬·♠~

It's another vivid memory of Lee Shin-Ah. It's becoming more frequent, I noticed. I don't know either if I should be comfortable seeing her memories in her perspective. With it comes the perk of feeling what she feels in that memory.

It's somewhat scary to feel what others feel. Sometimes I wonder if the feelings were mine or... something.

Today she, or I, was just reading a book in one of those children's playgrounds. Alone. Man, Shin-Ah does not know what playgrounds are for. There's no one here so why aren't we playing?

I don't think she's the type to invite kids and play with them in this playground but reading alone? That's just weird. Since we have this entire playground for ourselves, why won't we play on the slide or run around? Instead of sitting on one of the swings reading.

I flipped through the pages while still focused on what I'm reading then suddenly, a butterfly with black wings rested on the book which stopped me from almost flipping through another page.

Of course I stopped due to amazement. I don't know if I should be scared or be fascinated with its very dark colors. It flew away but Shin-Ah stood on her feet and started walking towards where the butterfly was heading. This should be more interesting than reading alone, right?

It led me to an amusement park after a few minutes. All of the lights and rides were turned on, and the park was fully functional. The gates swung open as though to welcome me, the distinguished visitor.

"Woah..."

When I saw the carousel in the middle of the park, I was in awe. It's been my favorite ride since I was a kid! The magnificent Ferris wheel, with its lights flashing like fireworks, caught my attention. There's also a roller coaster that was moving even though no one was on it.

There are a variety of rides here, ranging in size and flying to various heights. Another feature that attracted my eye were the sidewalks lined with food carts selling sweets and fried dishes. However, no one seems to be tending to them or buying from them. It's like I have the entire space to myself.

It's like magic. There were balloons on every post. Flowers were dancing and glimmering. I could see fireflies flying everywhere along with floating bubbles from I don't know where.

Is this a memory? Or a memory of a dream?

"Way more fun than reading alone, huh?"

I frantically looked behind me to see who just spoke. My forehead knotted. Why is he here?

"You're that kid that was chased by a huge dog!" I stood there with a puzzled face as he walked towards me with a smirk on his face. "How did you get here?"

"I own the place."

"You own the place? No way." I looked around and still found no one. Maybe he was the one who opened the gates.

"Yeah. Are you deaf or something?"  I gave him a slight scowl. He extended his hand to me, and I just stared at it for a second. "I know you don't have friends. Let's have some fun. Shall we?"