Ch 23: Cowards are Never Trustworthy

Zacznij od początku

Timeskip

I got back the next day and immediately told Ozpin I needed to talk to him.

Y/N: "It's as I feared. He threw in with her. That's why they were able to open the vault." He looked down.

Ozpin: "Well then, Miss Xiao Long told me the description you got from Raven. Maybe we can track him down."

Y/N: "Maybe. I doubt he didn't already bring it to her territory."

Ozpin: "True. But we have the idea of what to ask."

Y/N: "So what now?"

Ozpin: "For now, there is nothing immediate you can do. Just stay here and wait until we have an new opportunity."

Y/N: "Is there really nothing I can do?"

Ozpin: "There is not. Why don't you spend some time with Miss Xiao Long?"

Y/N: "If anything comes up, you tell me." I got up to leave.

Ozpin: "I am glad to see you finally focused on something that is not fighting."

Y/N: "I can still do my job."

Ozpin: "I know. But you needed something to show you that there is more to your life then killing." I left. I wasn't in the mood to argue about this. I also didn't want to admit I was actually happy.

Timeskip

It was a few days later that Yang got back. I had been out that day and came back when it was getting late, so I went up to her room. She was sitting on the bed looking down. She was clutching the blanket I got her and it looked like she had been crying.

Y/N: "Yang? You ok?" She jumped a little.

Yang: "I'm fine."

Y/N: "You obviously aren't. What's wrong?"

Yang: "After you were gone too long, I started having flashes and nightmares again."

Y/N: "You mean from the attack?"

Yang: "Yeah." I sat down next to her.

Y/N: "Do you... Want me to do something?"

Yang: "Just hold me a little while. I sleep better with you here." I got into my sleeping clothes (or at this point, lack thereof) and held her close.

Y/N: "Why do you think they came back? You've been fine this whole time."

Yang: "They stopped when we started sleeping together."

Y/N: "That can't be it."

Yang: "Yeah, well it is."

Y/N: "How does me being here magically make it better?"

Yang: "I don't know! But you being around makes me feel calm and safe." I hoped she couldn't feel my blush, but at this point she probably knew it was there regardless.

Y/N: "How do you get that from me? I'm a jerk to everyone, I lie to people all the time, and I've lived most of my life fighting."

Yang: "That's not true."

Y/N: "Remember when I said I was avoiding you because you don't think before doing things?"

Yang: "As I recall, you apologized to me for that like instantly."

Y/N: "I still said it."

Yang: "Also, you keep secrets. And I know that there's a reason. So I'm not that worried about that." I knew she would be if she knew what was really happening. "And I think it's kinda hot that you're so good at fighting. I noticed you feel the same way about me too."

Y/N: "Th-that's not the point! I mean you shouldn't feel any more calm around me than anyone else."

Yang: "Don't people feel safe with someone they love? Maybe that's why."

Y/N: "That's so cheesy."

Yang: "Yeah well sometimes that's what you need. So please don't let go and don't leave me for days on end like that."

Y/N: "I'll try, but you know I sometimes have to leave."

Yang: "Then I'm coming with you anytime I can."

Y/N: "I'll ask Ozpin to try to keep me here." 

She took a deep breath and leaned on me. Eventually I could tell she was asleep because at one point her grip suddenly tightened. I never had to guts to tell her, but when she was out she just latched onto me. I looked down and noticed something. It was dimly lit, but with my night vision I had a good look at her face. 

She was smiling. She hadn't been while she was a awake, and even then she usually had a cheeky and exaggerated one on her face. Now she just looked peaceful and happy. I wondered if she was right. I'd never seen her like this. 

It was like nothing mattered, not her arm, not our battle against things I still couldn't tell her about, not even the fact that moments before she had been reliving the most terrifying experience of her life. If she could, even for a short time, forget about all that, maybe I could too. I held her close and fell asleep.