Chapter 28a: The Earl of Wyndon (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

"Honestly"—his lips tickled against her skin—"I don't know that I could resist any longer. Nor do I particularly want to. You, my dear, taste far too heavenly."

A gasp escaped her as he licked and teased a sensitive spot beneath her ear. The man really knew how to use his lips and tongue. It was rather unfair that he would not let her reciprocate the favour. Maybe that ought to be her new vow. Her thoughts scattered as he gently nipped at her neck, making her grip on his hair tighten.

Lifting his head, he placed a quick kiss on her lips. "We ought to leave," he said, his voice hoarse. "The carriage will be waiting, and we need to get to Wyndon's."

She nodded, but before she could move away from him, his lips were back on hers. She wasn't sure how long they kissed until he forced himself away from her with a groan. Putting his hands on her waist, he gently held her at arm's distance.

"This is why I've been trying to stay away from you," he muttered with a wry smile. "You are utterly addictive."

"I can live with that." She grinned, definitely liking the idea that he found her so difficult to resist.

"It's not you I am worried about," he growled, and after another quick kiss, he steered her towards the door. "To the carriage. Let's get this confrontation with Wyndon over with."

"Here we are," Nick said as she looked out of the carriage window

"Here we are," Nick said as she looked out of the carriage window. "Henry's estate."

They were coming around a bend where a squat mansion of moderate size sat like a fat frog at the bottom of a gravel road. It was simple and unassuming, its grounds a little unkempt, as if they didn't have enough gardeners to keep it in check. When they neared the house itself, it became more obvious that the earldom was in dire straits. The window panes desperately needed a lick of paint, and the trellis next to the entrance had overgrown to the point where the clinging ivy was overtaking the entire wall, covering a few of the windows completely.

As the carriage pulled up by the house, Gabriel noted broken steps leading up to the door. Wyndon's desperation made more sense now. It was no excuse for blackmail, but he could understand the issues the earl faced. After jumping out of the carriage, he assisted Nick, and together they knocked on the door, the brass door knock nearly coming loose in his hands. They waited. Shifting uncomfortably, he took a step back to look at the facade again. Was it abandoned?

He was just about to suggest they leave when an ageing butler opened the door, his livery clean but noticeably well-worn.

"Driscoll!" Nick burst out, and the small man's moustache twitched as he recognised her and his face split in an enormous smile.

"Oh, young Lady Nicola!" He bowed. "How pleasant to see you again. Are you here to see Lord Wyndon?"

"Please," she said. "I apologise for arriving unannounced. We are on our way to Holdenhurst Manor and on the spur of the moment decided to see Henry first."