"You are close to the truth now," Bianca told him. "It's not Noelle or Percy you'remad at, Nico. It's me." 

"No." 

"You're mad because I left you to become a Hunter of Artemis. You'remad because I died and left you alone. I'm sorry for that, Nico. I truly am.But you must overcome the anger. And stop blaming them for my choices. Itwill be your doom." 

"She's right," Annabeth broke in. "Kronos is rising, Nico. He'll twistanyone he can to his cause." 

"I don't care about Kronos," Nico said. "I just want my sister back." 

"You can't have that, Nico," Bianca told him gently. 

"I'm the son of Hades! I can." 

"Don't try," she said. "If you love me, don't . . ."

Her voice trailed off. Spirits had started to gather around them again, and they seemed agitated. Their shadows shifted. Their voices whispered, Danger! 

"Tartarus stirs," Bianca said. "Your power draws the attention of Kronos. The dead must return to the Underworld. It is not safe for us to remain." 

"Wait," Nico said. "Please—" 

"Good-bye, Nico," Bianca said. "I love you. Remember what I said." 

Her form shivered and the ghosts disappeared, leaving them alone with a pit, a Happy Flush septic tank, and a cold full moon. 

None of them were anxious to travel that night, so they decided to wait until morning. Noelle couldn't sleep even though she was laying in Percy's arms on the leather couch in the living room. She just stared at the ceiling in silence until she heard some shuffling.

She picked her head up to see Nico trying to blend in with the shadows as he tiptoed out to the porch. Noelle carefully removed Percy's arms from around her, taking a little time to kiss away the worry line on his forehead before following Nico.

Walking out the door, she found Nico sitting on a bench that overlooked the ranch. She moved to sit next to him, both of them just looking out at the fields in silence.

"Couldn't sleep?" Noelle asked.

"Not in a while," he responded. "Not since I was last at your place."

Noelle frowned. "Then why'd you stop coming around?"

"I was scared," he admitted. "Scared I might forget Bianca or get too attached and lose you just like I lost her. I thought it would be easier to leave and blame you for what happened like I did Percy."

She cautiously pulled Nico into a side hug, smiling softly when he accepted her touch. "It's okay to be scared. Kind of just comes with the life we live." Noelle ran a comforting hand up and down his arm. "You could come with us tomorrow. Join us on the quest. Come back to camp when this is all over."

"No," Nico denied softly. "I think I need to be on my own for just a bit longer. Need time to think about what I want."

"Okay."

They sat there together until they fell asleep, Percy finding them after he awoke from a nightmare and got worried about where Noelle was. He smiled at their silhouettes, sneaking back inside to sit with Grover who also couldn't sleep.

~

The next morning they walked down to the cattle guard and said their goodbyes. 

"Nico, you sure you don't want to come with us?" Noelle blurted out.