𝒊𝒊𝒊.

The next morning there was a lot of excitement at breakfast. 

Apparently around three in the morning an Aethiopian drakon had been spotted at the borders of camp. Noelle and Percy were so exhausted they slept right through the noise (yes, they slept in the same bed). The magical boundaries had kept the monster out, but it prowled the hills, looking for weak spots in their defenses, and it didn't seem anxious to go away until Lee Fletcher from Apollo's cabin led a couple of his siblings in pursuit. After a few dozen arrows lodged in the chinks of the drakon's armor, it got the message and withdrew. 

"It's still out there," Lee warned them during announcements. "Twenty arrows in its hide, and we just made it mad. The thing was thirty feet long and bright green. Its eyes—" He shuddered. 

"You did well, Lee." Chiron patted him on the shoulder. "Everyone stay alert, but stay calm. This has happened before." 

"Aye," Quintus said from the head table. "And it will happen again. More and more frequently." 

The campers murmured among themselves. 

Everyone knew the rumors: Luke and his army of monsters were planning an invasion of the camp. Most of them expected it to happen this summer, but no one knew how or when. It didn't help that the camp's attendance was down. They only had about eighty campers. Three years ago, when Percy had started, there had been more than a hundred. Some had died. Some had joined Luke. Some had just disappeared.

"This is a good reason for new war games," Quintus continued, a glint in his eyes. "We'll see how you all do with that tonight." 

"Yes . . ." Chiron said. "Well, enough announcements. Let us bless this meal and eat." He raised his goblet. "To the gods!" 

They all raised their glasses and repeated the blessing. 

Noelle unceremoniously walked up to the bronze brazier, hardly any pep in her step. She dumped some eggs into the flames and whispered her mother's name before sulking back to sit at the Artemis table by herself.

Despite having a semi-okay sleep for the first time since Nico had cut off ties, Noelle was still sluggish. Even after having some coffee in her system her emotions weighed her down. Seeing him in that Iris-message last night messed her up. Whether that was because she missed him or because he seemed to be doing fine without her, Noelle didn't know.

Once everyone was eating, Chiron and Grover came over to visit Percy. Grover was bleary-eyed. His shirt was inside out. He slid his plate onto the table and slumped next to his friend. 

Tyson shifted uncomfortably. "I will go . . . um . . . polish my fish ponies." 

He lumbered off, leaving his breakfast half eaten. 

Chiron tried for a smile. He probably wanted to look reassuring, but in centaur form he towered over them, casting a shadow across the table. "Well, Percy, how did you sleep?" 

"Uh, fine." Percy wondered why he asked that. Was it possible he knew something about the weird Iris-message he'd gotten? Or maybe that Noelle had spent the night in his cabin.

"I brought Grover over," Chiron said, "because I thought you two might want to, ah, discuss matters. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some Iris-messages to send. I'll see you later in the day." He gave Grover a meaningful look, then trotted out of the pavilion. 

"What's he talking about?" Percy asked Grover. 

Grover chewed his eggs. Percy could tell he was distracted, because he bit off the tines of his fork and chewed those down, too. "He wants you to convince me," he mumbled.