fourteen

╮street puck╰

╮street puck╰

"And hold, two, three-" Dean counted from the front of the team, facing them as he led their leg stretches.

"Coach isn't here, why do we have to be?" Connie's voice cut through Dean's counting as she glanced up from their stretch. Aubrey pushed her stray hairs back toward her high ponytail and lifted her head to look around the football field the team chose to stretch on.

"We have a game tonight. We have to work out." Dean answered as they all switched to stretch their other leg.

"I say mutiny. Who's with me?" Goldberg asked as he stood up straight and moved his legs to his normal standing position.

"Goldberg, I'm too tired for mutiny," Dwayne answered tiredly as he stood up with his hand lifted slightly.

"Come on, guys, it's not like we couldn't use the conditioning," Julie said and leaned up so she could rest her hands on her knees. She glanced at the team briefly before pushing off of her knees to stand all the way up. Aubrey straightened her back and pressed her fists against her hips as she crossed her legs. She twisted her back until it popped and sighed as she relaxed.

"Speak for yourself, babe," Dean said and looked Julie up and down as he stood up.

"Her name is Julie, not 'babe'," Adam defended as he stood up with the team following in straightening.

"Don't tell me how to talk, rich boy!" Dean said, walking toward Adam with his hand held up and his finger pointed. He roughly shoved Adam once he got to him and Aubrey rushed over to catch Adam's arms.

"Are you okay?" she asked and held his elbow as he regained his balance.

"Awe, look here, America's Sweetheart coming to the damn rescue," Dean mocked and roughly shoved her head to the side.

Aubrey stumbled backward before turned around and holding her hands out in front of her. She's kept her head ducked to her hide her embarrassed blush and avoided making eye contact with the few teammates that looked back at her. Dwayne grabbed her waist as she lifted her hand to her head and pulled her into a standing position. She tightly crossed her arms over her chest as her face burned in hot embarrassment.

"Hey, Portman, chill!" Fulton angrily yelled as he rushed forward to push Dean back. Dwayne pulled away from her and took a slow step toward his teammates as Aubrey stayed where she was. She moved her hand to her chest and felt her heart race against her hand as she fought to keep her panicked breaths even.