one

╮new coach╰

╮new coach╰

Aubrey McMahon skated in a small circle at the edge of the pond with her best friend, Connie Moreau, and the two passed the puck back and forth. She reached up with a gloved hand and pushed her ponytail over her shoulder and smiled at Guy Germaine as he skated over to the pair. She backed up a few steps for Guy to join them and stopped the puck when Connie had passed to her.

"How do you think our new coach will be?" Aubrey quietly asked, slowing to a stop as she watched the puck slide leisurely over to Guy before slowly looking up at her friends. Guy looked down to stop the puck and moved it from one side of his stick to the other.

"I think he'll be very uncaring and extremely annoyed at the lack of skill sets on this team," he answered and pressed his lips together with a quiet sigh as he looked up at Aubrey. He's expression softened when Aubrey dropped her head sadly.

"Maybe this one will stay the whole season," Aubrey commented hopefully, trying to sound optimistic. She sighed, puckered her lips, moved them to the side, and swept her leg back and forth in front of her.

"If we're lucky he will. I wonder if he'll make it to practice today," Connie said and smiled at Aubrey.

"I don't think any of our coaches even know we practice," Guy scoffed and pushed the puck towards Connie.

"The one before last did! He came to two of them, remember?" Aubrey asked, tilting her to the side as she let the puck hit her stick.

"The second practice is what made him decide to leave," Connie mentioned sadly, frowning down at the puck as it slid towards her.

Aubrey stopped listening to Connie and Guy as she quickly turned around when she heard loud laughter from behind her. She smiled to herself when Charlie Conway, Les Averman, Peter Mark, and Dave Karp ran into view before slowing to a jog as they neared the pond. Charlie quickly ran across the pond to the hockey bag he'd sat on the bench before leaving for his prank. He pushed off his beat-up tennis shoes and slipped on his old skates before hurrying over to join Aubrey, Guy, and Connie.

"Did you have fun, Charlie?" Aubrey asked him, watching as he bent over to catch his breath. He stood up, still breathing heavily as he began to laugh.

"It was awesome! His face was hilarious when he realized it wasn't actually money!" Charlie gasped out between breathy laughs. He took a deep breath to stop laughing and tapped his hockey stick against the ice, smiling when Connie passed it to him. He passed it over to Aubrey and waited for it to get back to him again before skating over to join Terry Hall in shooting pucks at Goldberg, the team goalie.